NF NX8 2.5x20 Mount on an AR Platfrom

Okanogan

I picked up a NF NX8 2.5x20 scope in anticipation of mounting it on a hunting rifle. After receiving the scope I got to thinking it might be better purposed to a quality AR platform which lead me to a scope/rifle swap situation. When I was looking to mount the NX8 to my AR10 platform I had difficulty track down much information as it is a relatively new scope.
I went ahead and bought a NF 30mm Uni-mount with 20 MOA base. Turns out that it sort of only mostly works. The relatively huge Tenebraex scope caps that are standard do not quite clear the picatinny rail with the somewhat standard 1.375" NF Uni-mount 20 MOA base/ring.
It may give potential NX8 2.5x20 owners a small dilemma of either choosing to modify the scope cap or choosing really high mounts instead. I normally would choose the higher mounts but it turns out the modification is relatively minor if you're willing to orient your front lens cap to open horizontally. This is my normal arrangement for Tenebraex caps so I personally would prefer to stay with what I bought and tweak the scope caps.
Given that I couldn't find info or pictures on mounting the NX8 2.5x20 on the web, I thought there may be forum members who would be interested at some point. The picture is after I trimmed the bottom tab of the front lens cap, but that is all that is required.
20190814_150432.jpg

Last edited:
No, while I don't think the NX8 2.5-20 optical performance is as good as my AMGs, or ATACR, it works well on the AR10 and I'm happy enough with it.
My only reason for the post was there was limited info on mounting this relatively new scope model. The oversize objective scope cap created an issue that I thought others might want to know about before picking out rings if they had the same scope.

You need to see what the crew who load your rifle case into the hold of airplanes are prone to do. They take glee in tossing it from the cart into the hold. Maybe the crew on the outbound flight wasn't as nasty as the home bound.