NF 5.5X22 Mount ?

jeffwhip

I'm getting ready to mount my NF 5.5X22 on a 280 AI. I have a few questions?

1. Do you guys recommend putting lock-tight on the inside of the NF rings?
2. How tight do I tighten up the NF rings?
3. I have a level + a ACI indicator on the rear top ring but am wondering how to get the crosshairs perfectly vertical?

Thanks in advance!

No loc-tite on the rings, lap them properly and you will be good to go. They should come with torque specs from NF, usually around 65in-lbs. Careful not to over tighten.
For leveling the cross hairs my method is to hang my carpenters square on the side of my shop using a level to insure it is perfectly level on both planes. Then I align my cross hairs both vertically and horizontally, easy money.

Its isnt 100% necessary but you really should. It helps insure thing rings are in perfect alignment and doesnt impart any stress on the scope tube. It also increases contact area to give the rings a firmer grip on the tube without having to tighten to an extreme amount.

Do not lap NF ultra lite rings. Its in the manuel the scope came with. NF torque specs are 15"lbs on the ring screws (4 on top) and 65"lbs only on the crossbolt that holds them to the base.

You can hang a plumb bob to get it leveled perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.