Not so happy with the Accubonds

And as the camera pulls out:

little Dereks Mommy covers him with his favorite "blanky" as he peacefully slumbers calmly sucking his thumb. I was right, I was right, I was right could be heard coming between the sucking sounds...

Fade to black.

Roll credits...

THE END!

Fauxworth you really are a useless sack of cr@p. Other than sticking your nose where it doesn't belong is there a reason you decided to start on me here?

I guess that you witnesses the shot too! You also saw how the bullet that has a solid base disappeared into nothing as if by magic! I did not say that the hunter failed, I said that that is a possibility based on not recovering the animal. The shooter thinks himself to be god in that he could not have made an error!!

Why don't you reread what others have said with some objectivity :)

But objectivity is not what you are about...is it! Just constantly stirring the pot...you are just a regular Phiserman :(

edge.

Derek M.

You've probably figured out by now that edge isn't worth the time of day. Useless, but on a mission to improve his sense of worth.

With any luck, after Palin & McCain crash & burn, he'll be so depressed he'll just go away.

:)

I know that we all think that we never screw up, but if you don't have the animal, then the shot placement has to be questioned!

edge.

We think you screw up all the time edge. Just like most of your posts here.

phorwath,

I'm just having fun making edge continue is childish rants. He will continue, mark my words, as he is pathetically predictable. And he finally posted something of subtance by writing that I was right, b/c it's true.

Wait and see, he can't contain himself, he'll post something soon and it will also have no substance.

I'm done with him and ridge runner.

Last edited:
They absolutely dont work. I went elk hunting day before yesterday and was using them Accubonds and all I got was this. Seriously I have dropped everything I have shot within a few yards. Nothing have gone 50.

OH! one more thing! Why cant you guys act like grown ups and get along? Bunch of thread wreckers!

elk308640x480.jpg

elk408640x480.jpg

Last weekend I killed an Antelope buck at just a bit under 500 yards with my 7mm Ultra. I'm driving the Accubonds with 92grs of Retumbo at just about 3200 fps. I can consistently land three shots touching each other at 100 yards. The first shot was back a bit far, but did hit a rib going out. After being hit, the buck just stood there. The next shot was a classic Keith raking shot, in behind the ribs and all the way though the front shoulder. No bone was touched with that shot but the Accubond took a bunch of paunch material with it through the shoulder, and the exit wound was just a little hole not much bigger than 7mm. Again the buck just stood there, and after a moment just fell over. He is dead in any case, and will adorn my wall, but did I miss something? I thought the Accubonds were supposed to be pretty thin skinned? The performance of this bullet seems to be quite a bit less dramatic than what I observed two weeks ago whem my dad absolutely flattened an Antelope doe with a far back shot with a 220gr MK out of his 300 RUM. The same thing happened to me last year, at about 367 yards the Accubond sailed right through an Antelope buck, taking ribs both in and out, but certainly didn't seem to shock the animal the way I've seen some other bullets do.

Thoughts?

Hicks

My question was intended for the guy who started this thread, although he probably checked out by now, with all the rants that have hijacked his seemingly innocent thread.

So, Hicks, what bullet will you use next time, instead of an accubond?

yeah right,
1) shot a deer perfectly with an accubond
2) shot was perfect cause I said so
3) deer got away
4) anyone who questions it is stupid, I been hunting 2 decades, so I'm right

well, after 40 years of hunting deer, though I'm not formaly educated, I'm not stupid.
Derik has himself convinced he knows it all so he'll learn nothing no matter what anyone says. if the shot was in fact perfect, where's the deer, no way can he convinse anyone but himself that something isn't right with his story.
I've taken probably 20 deer with the accubonds, they all shared the same traits, the bullet expanded and exited, except 1, that one hit a limb, made a tennis ball sized entry wound, traveled through 3 feet of venison and still took the lungs out.
since he had no logical arguement for my questions he had to fall back on my grammar, and in that dept. he's probably right, didn't know Len required us to be rhodes scholars to post here.
Let him claim bullet failure, just shows his arrogance to make statements like he has with absolutely No Proof!
RR

Perhaps a better understanding of how the Accubond is designed to work will help

Quoting from NRA's American Rifleman from their May, 2004 issue:

"While other bulletmakers tout 90 percent weight retention from their bonded bullets, Nosler took a different approach. Its goal is deeper penetration, even at the sacrifice of weight retention. The problem with bonded bullets that are designed for high weight retention is that they quickly form a large frontal area that impedes penetration. Nosler designed its bullet to have about 60 to 70 percent weight retention. That obviously means that it will lose some weight. That's because it's designed to shed some of the expanded bullet material to keep the frontal area of the Accubond bullet a little smaller than some other bonded bullets. Accubond is designed for early expansion, but rather than tear completely apart as a Ballistic Tip often will, the Accubond's petals are designed to fold back tighter against the bullet shank. This makes a slightly smaller diameter mushroom to allow deeper penetration."

With this in mind the Accubond can do a lot of damage inside before exiting with a small exit hole. Of course, I don't know if this is what happened since I was not there.

Your results might vary. Personally I like the heavier for caliber bullets like the 200 gr Accubonds in 30 caliber and the 160 Accubonds in 7mm caliber. Have not shot that much game with them yet though.

I haven't experienced a Nosler AB failure to expand yet. I've shot several black bears, a caribou, and several sheep with them. 7mm 140 & 160 gr. & 200 gr .308

But I have experienced a failure with a 7mm 150 gr Nosler BT years ago. I shot a Dall ram at 13 yards with a .280 RCBS improved using a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip straight through the middle of the ribs and lungs and that bullet never expanded with a muzzle velocity of ~2975 fps. The sheep was standing broadside. I expected the ram to crumple at the shot, but instead he reversed 180 degrees showing me the exit side and a tiny red spot began to show on the white hair after about 10 seconds. That exit hole showed the bullet placement was right on the money so I figured the animal was dead on his feet. Go figure. The animal trotted off down slope about 100 yds, stood for awhile watching some other rams across the valley, and then finally bedded down. He slowly got sicker and sicker but didn't expire. I delayed a second shot because I saw the red blood dots in perfect position on both sides of the ribs for a double lung shot. Probably 25-30 minutes passed from the time of the initial shot, and I'd seen enough. I walked down to finish him off and when I got within about 10 yds he jumped up in an adrenaline rush and took off. My second shot was a quartering away shot into the back edge of the onside ribs. That BT expanded and flattened the ram like a piledriver. Instant lights out. When I skinned the ram out I found the first shot exit hole the same size as the entrance hole, about 1/4" in diameter.

In addition to my own experience with the Ballistic Tip on the Dall sheep, I was present with a hunting partner when he had a 200 gr .338 Ballistic Tip fail to open on a black bear which we recovered after several additional follow-up shots. Skinning confirmed the location of the first thru & thru hit through the lungs. Exit hole same size as the entrance hole.

Other hunters have told me that they have also had Ballistic Tips fail to expand. I don't know why - but I can verify that it does happen every now and then. And if it happens with the BTs, I wouldn't be surprised but what it happens with the ABs also, since their shape is identical to the BTs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.