Not a bad day!

stevescg80

Went on a late season doe hunt with my dad yesterday it was on the clarence cannon wildlife refuge where we were allowed to harvest 3 does each.I took my newly finished remington 300 win mag and my dad took his trusty browning blr in 450 marlin.About 7:15 2 soes fed into the open field I was in I ranged the biggest doe at 387 i slid my back pack out front and settled in for the shot when she turned broadside I squeezed the trigger and was rewarded with the sound of bullet meeting deer lol she made a short burst and was dead in less than 30 ft. i walked to meet my dad about 8:30 as I had not heard him shoot so as we were walking to my deer we noticed 3 does enter a weed patch and bed up about 600 yds away.we madea quickplan I would sneak back and get the wind and try to push them out but as soon as I made it in the parch 2 does busted out to my right I swung fast and dropped the lead doe about 80 yds away. we then went to the truck for lunch we grabbed a quick bite and noticed 9 does on a levee about 3/4 mile away i was to get around and try for a shot hopefully driving them towards my dad as the tried to make it to cover.It work i slkid down the back side and made a stalk which brought me 271 yds from them again sliding my pack in front i waited until she went broadside and shot the bullet hit perfectly she made a 40 yd dash and was done all the remainig deer ran down the levee to my dad where he was laying prone as they came to a stop at about a 100yds he quickly set to work killing 3 does in a matter of seconds lol it was a great hunt and the 168 gr matchking worked perfectly over 58 gr of imr 4320 I was very pleased with them and my dad was shooting my own hand cast 340 gr rnfp over a dose of re 7 for some reason i cant post pics but i could send them to someone if the can post them for me.

Last edited:
Here is the picture. Looks like you guys were busy.;)
steveanddadSmall.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.