A good day.

orkan

It was dark when I left the house. Dead calm, 55 degrees. Parked the pickup, put on my pack, and headed out to a spot I've been wanting to call for a while. Put in a coyote set right at sunrise. Nothing showed up, but it was fun to start in on the fall anyway. Never saw a coyote, but they are around.

TJJ6yy4h.jpg

mNjWDU2h.jpg

G7MKiNIh.jpg

Then I went back to the pickup and pulled up into a pdog town I've been working on exterminating. I've killed close to 200 out there, and it's not a very big town. Killed 18 more with my .20-223AI from the roof of my truck. Farthest shot was 443yds. I missed a total of 5 times out there at 443'ish... and was kind of disappointed. However, I walked out there because something didn't feel right. Turns out what I thought were young pdogs, were actually young gophers! So, I didn't feel quite as bad for missing 5 times because they were about 1" wide! Pretty small target at nearly 450yds. I estimate there is only about 20 more prairie dogs left alive. I left at about 10AM and headed for the house.

ap0uKahh.jpg

There's a huge pdog town I've been working on a little bit this summer, and I wanted to put a dent in it. It was super calm, so I grabbed my main 17WSM and 250rnds of ammo, and headed out. I initially went out with my Ascend w/ Anvil 30. This tripod is extremely light, but I wanted to see if I could use it acceptably while standing. I extended all sections on it, and set it out for a wide stance. To my absolute amazement, it was very steady and I shot over a couple hundred off it. Then I ran out of ammo and had to head back for a reload. I decided on the way back, that I was going to try to break 500 pdogs killed in one day!

8k8fi9Ph.jpg

Upon coming back, I brought a RRS 34 w/ Anvil 30... and this was more steady and made it a lot easier on me.

5UCi2PIh.jpg

eSZhkE9h.jpg

It was a weirdly awesome day. The wind was flat dead almost the entire day. There was a 30 minute period where it came up to 5mph... but it quickly flattened back out. It hit 93f in the afternoon, and the lack of breeze made me sweat my butt off. However, the shooting was phenomenal. When I quit for the day, I had killed 564 in this town. With the 18 from the morning, that's 582 prairie dogs killed in one day. What an amazing time it was. My hands are super sore today, as running the ball head and loading mags for that many cycles was super demanding. I'm feeling quite fulfilled and accomplished today. :)

bmhhJYZl.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Recent Posts