Nosler rdf BC?

Some folks on accurate shooter and Sniper's Hide have stated their results for the 140gr 6.5 have shown the advertised BC to be accurate or even a little understated. I have 500 coming. I'm anxious to try them. I like the Bergers, but $50/100 hurts...

John

Yep, early reports and my testing shows them to finally not be sandbagging numbers. It's been too snowy to really get out to serious distance, or test transonic stability yet.
The ogive and importantly tail, is what gives a bullet it's numbers. McCoy did this work long ago. Despite the claims from big red, and their own testing proving the marketing BS; Just the tip" is good for a few tenths.

I have been wanting to try to some .30 175's in my .308 Win. The regular old Custom Comp 175's shoot ragged-hole groups, so I'm sure the RDF's will be just as good, or better.

So far the 6.5, 140gr are. Only shoot a few hundred though, need to get out past 500 when the snow melts. Not sure if the tail will let me cross yet, but it will be fun to find out!

That is good news on the b.c. but I am wondering how they got it? How does the boat tail, bearing surface, and ogive compare to a Berger? It is pretty difficult to get a hollow point bullet to that b.c. and still have them shoot well.......Rich

That is good news on the b.c. but I am wondering how they got it? How does the boat tail, bearing surface, and ogive compare to a Berger? It is pretty difficult to get a hollow point bullet to that b.c. and still have them shoot well.......Rich
I seen a pic of the 140 Hybrid and 140 RFD, and the RFD looked like a copied hybrid, that's been trimmed and pointed. It was just one pic, but looks like they just copied the Berger.

Pure speculation.....

I seen a pic of the 140 Hybrid and 140 RFD, and the RFD looked like a copied hybrid, that's been trimmed and pointed. It was just one pic, but looks like they just copied the Berger.

Pure speculation.....

I wondered how they could get a higher b.c.? If that is all they did, it seems unlikely they would gain that much.....Rich

I wondered how they could get a higher b.c.? If that is all they did, it seems unlikely they would gain that much.....Rich
There was some guys over at AccurateShooter.com that wrote a article on the Whidden pointing die, and observed a BC increase of 1.5 to 10% depending on the original meplat size.
I could see a bullet manufacturer being able to do a better job than the Whidden die of making very small meplat bullets. The question is, why hasn't anyone done it before....
10% is probably a extreme case, but 5% is doable and outstanding!!!

Again, pure speculation. For all I know it's whole new bullet design.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There was some guys over at AccurateShooter.com that wrote a article on the Whidden pointing die, and observed a BC increase of 1.5 to 10% depending on the original meplat size.
I could see a bullet manufacturer being able to do a better job than the Whidden die of making very small meplat bullets. The question is, why hasn't anyone done it before....
10% is probably a extreme case, but 5% is doable and outstanding!!!

Again, pure speculation. For all I know it's whole new bullet design.:rolleyes:

Just heard that the nosler has a .055" longer nose too so now it is making sense!.......Rich

I love Bergers... But they get expensive for target shooting. So, for my range-only toys, I would not complain ONE BIT, about 1/2-priced Berger Hybrids for those... :D

I bought 70, 105, 175's totalling 3500 blems. I shoot 185 Berger Juggernaut for my 1000 yard ftr rifle. These Nosler's will be used for steel replacing others that I believe will be inferior to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.