Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

Bryan,

Wonderful info. Thanks. I was unaware of the phenomena you mentioned and thought that anything from stable flight or better is good enough. What is it about a bullet that causes the BC to change with spin rate? Do you have a graph of the effect that correlates stability factor with BC for a given bullet?

I found out from Nosler yesterday that the two ABLRs you asked about are going to hit the streets in October and August respectively so you should be able to buy some by then if no one comes forward with a donation.

The mechanism for improving BC with faster twist rate has to do with suppressing the magnitude of the limit cycle yaw (it's like a trim angle for spin stabilized bullets). There are several chapters in the new book which go into this in detail, so I won't butcher it here! I think you'll find the Modern Advancements... book quite interesting.

-Bryan

It looks like the 190's have an SG of 1.68 in a 10 twist, which appears to be enough based on your 1.5+ rule of thumb. Do you think that is sufficiently high?

You can PM me your shipping info and I'll try to get them out as soon as I can.

Thx

Tom

Tom,
Thank you very much for the offer. I just accepted an offer from a shooter on a different site for some of the 190's so as of now I don't need anymore. If something changes I'll get back with you.

BTW, I don't thing stability will be a problem with the .30's. 1:10" twist barrels are common enough in .30 caliber, which 1:10" is proportionally very fast for that caliber so the 190's and 210's will probably be fine in a 1:10".
Thanks again,
-Bryan

Bryan,

I have ample 175 gr ALR's if no other takers. My 30's are gone. Hopefully a member has all three they can supply. If not send me a PM.

Any news on a 230 gr Hunting Hybrid?

I was able to get some 175's from another source. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

No news on the 230 Hunting Hybrid, or any other new bullets for that matter. We're just doing our best to produce the existing bullets. When the demand backs off and we catch up a little, there are a number of new bullet projects which will move forward.

Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan,

Are your "Tested" SG values being determined using a more accurate method?

I just use the unmodified Miller formula for the SG calculations. I find the modification to Millers formula for plastic tip bullets to be questionable.

-Bryan

Bryan,

Great information. Thank you for taking the time to test the ABLR and post your results.

JD338

Bryan,

FWIW, here are the ABLR twist recommendations from Nosler.
ABLR-OAL-and-Twist.jpg

JD338

Thanks for this right up Bryan! Now we have difinitive proof on the numbers.

I will still never move backwards in technology, so I still don't ever see myself straying from Bergers, as they have been very good to me and function flawlessly in both target shooting and hunting situations.

Also, that is good to hear that Berger has several other "new" bullets on the drawing board, and that sooner or later they might appear. I sure hope they don't forget my .257 130-135 Hybrid that will work in a 1:10 twist. I bet it would be perfect for whitetails out of my .25-06 AI.

And also that 7mm EOL 195... That's gonne be nasty. Can't wait to sling a few of these out of the ole STW's.

Anyway, it's always good to see difinitive proof of numbers and BC. Thanks again.

Thanks for this info. Again I have ordered your NEW book and look forward to reading it. Thanks again Bryan

Clay Price

Thanks for this right up Bryan! Now we have difinitive proof on the numbers.

I will still never move backwards in technology, so I still don't ever see myself straying from Bergers, as they have been very good to me and function flawlessly in both target shooting and hunting situations.

Also, that is good to hear that Berger has several other "new" bullets on the drawing board, and that sooner or later they might appear. I sure hope they don't forget my .257 130-135 Hybrid that will work in a 1:10 twist. I bet it would be perfect for whitetails out of my .25-06 AI.

And also that 7mm EOL 195... That's gonne be nasty. Can't wait to sling a few of these out of the ole STW's.

Anyway, it's always good to see difinitive proof of numbers and BC. Thanks again.

Ditto on the .257 bullets, if not 130-135, at least 125Gr. I still have some 125 Wildcats, but about gone.

Ditto on the .257 bullets, if not 130-135, at least 125Gr. I still have some 125 Wildcats, but about gone.

What twist barrel are you shooting the 125gr Wildcats out of? Do they shoot well? I've got a box of 130gr Wildcats. Haven't shot any but I'm doubtful they will be sufficiently stabilized at sea level in my 10-twist.

So this is the question that has been bothering me, if there is a significant BC boost with the ALR from twisting them much faster than we have been other VLD's does this mean that I could be leaving BC on the table for a 210 Berger VLD or a 215 Hybrid for that matter? If no why would the ALR be such an isolated case?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.