Nosler Custom Brass

RTK

What's everybody's opinion on Nosler's custom brass?? They say it is de-burred, weight sorted, etc. It sure isn't cheap compared to the Remington I have used for years.

Trimmed, chamfered, flash hole debured, debured weight sorted +- 0.5gr, inspected. all in all for me it very much worth the extra cost. but I'm at that stage in life where time for my hobbies and personal pursuits can be at a premium and hard to come by. :)

I find it a bit soft....if you load at reasonable pressures then above average, if your pushing it then get lapua or go through sorting...My Opinion only.....

I was looking for Lapua, unfortunately can't find it in 300wm any longer. The last batch of Remington I broke into seemed to be all over the place so I figured I would give them a try.
I usually don't push them too hard, but I am up there at the top.

What's everybody's opinion on Nosler's custom brass?? They say it is de-burred, weight sorted, etc. It sure isn't cheap compared to the Remington I have used for years.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Nosler custom brass and I would recomend
that you do a search on it and make your choice based on the information in the post.

I have tried it and was very disappointed considering the cost and the fact that each batch
weighed is different from the last. (What you buy will all be the same, but the next batch will be
a different weight.

Also it is made by Federal and I have not had any luck with there brass.

The Lapua brass Is as good as you can get even though it is more expensive than most other
brass.

I normally buy 2 or 300 rounds of Remington to work with and after sizing and trimming
I weight sort in batches of 1 grain increments and will end up with 200+ in one batch and the
rest all but a few in 2 or 3 small batches that are used for testing and break in.

Now that all ammo is in short supply I'm not sure how the quality is with any brass except
for the Lapua. It seems to be as good as it ever has been.

If you don't mind spending the money buy the Lapua, other wise buy the Remington and
do a little culling to get what you want.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

My experience is the same as J. E. Custom's. Too much money for the quality you get unless you load it light. If you push it at all the primer pockets go.
I took the same rout that J E Custom took. Bought Remington brass and sorted it and gave the culls to my friend that reloads and just does not care whether it has a imperfection or two. He does not shoot long range at all and for under 300 yds has no problems with it. Especially since it is free. I do not get the bad mixed with the good that way.

OK, did a little experiment today on some of my old remington brass laying around. I grabbed two that were 4+grains in difference weight wise and added water from a syringe. They are virtually the same volumne water wise.
I guess weighing them does not give an accurate measurement of actual volumne. Hmmm......................

OK, did a little experiment today on some of my old remington brass laying around. I grabbed two that were 4+grains in difference weight wise and added water from a syringe. They are virtually the same volumne water wise.
I guess weighing them does not give an accurate measurement of actual volumne. Hmmm......................

Regular water will not give you good data. You must use demineralized water with a wetting
agent and as you bring them to the same exact level you must weight them against there
original empty weight.

This is probably the most accurate method but it is very time consuming.

Weighing needs to take place when the brass is new,sized and trimed. after it has been fired,
sized,trimed and loaded many things will change the weight (Pressure is the main reason
and bullet weight, type of primer, powder charge ETC).

If you start with consistant brass weight, it should remain consistant through it's life as long as the same load is used in every piece of brass and in the same chamber.

The weight may change over time, but the brass will be consistant within the batch.

Even after all the sorting is done some fliers will happen. When this happens I mark the brass
and if that case throws another flier, It is discarded (Forever).

J E CUSTOM

I like Norma.

If I were loading 300wm or other cartridges that Lapua is not providing, I would bite the bullet and buy RWS brass, then Norma.

Huntingtons carries RWS,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.