Nosler BT's for 6.5x284 ??

ShootnMathews

I use Nosler BT's in a lot of my guns for hunting, but I am trying to work a consistent load for Bergers right now. If I can't get the accuracy I want before season I thought about trying some nosler since in my other guns they were easy to work a load with. Do any of you shoot nosler out of your 6.5x284 Norma? Mine is a Savage 111 LRH.

Thanks

Jared

There are several posts by Greyfox regarding the 6.5X284 and 140 VLD Berger loads. Search this site and you will find several of his replies on this subject. I would suggest starting there. He posts very sound advice. I also have the LRH and like twins not all will have the same personality and successful loads for the 6.5 LRH can very significantly. However, you have to start somewhere and his advise is worth the search for a starting point.

Yes I've been reading grey foxes stuff and it has helped greatly. But as you said no two are identical and I still cannot get rid of the flyers. They are closer to the bull but not gone. I am confident I will get it the way I want eventually. Just hoping o use it this season. Ill keep working on it. Going to load and shoot some today.

there is a guy on coueshwitetail that shoots a lrh. both of my 6.5 -284s are remingtons. i shoot 120 balitic tips , 123 and 139 lapua. killed a whitetail in az, and a coyote at 423 yards with the balistic tip.

What type of powder are you using? I have the 116 and use 49g Hybrid 100 V at 3.1 inches OAL for my 140VLD's. Only bad thing is I made this load up during the winter and now, took it out on a 85 degree day and boy it was too hot. Boat lift was tight and my drops were off. Volicity had increases about 100fps more as well. So I might be going back to the drawing board with trying retumbo, or H1000, or 4831. Just not sure since I already have a lot of the 100V. But with this load at 45 degrees I was shooting .5 inch groups and was good out to 600yrds with my turret. My load was running 2844-2842fps. One other thing, this was the max susgested load by hodgens web site also. I don't know why but I had though the 100V was a temp stable powder and it is not. So I my just make some summer loads and some winter loads so I can keep practicing.

Trying 4831SC and Retumbo right now. Having better results with the 4831 but still getting flyers. Can't get the Retumbo to group these 140 VLDs at all right now. Just haven't found the right combo yet on depth/charge. With the 4831, one group will have 2or 3 near touching and one an inch or more away. And the shot number is random. Sometimes it's the first shot, sometimes the last, sometimes in the middle of group. And I'm not pulling the shots and I'm very meticulous about loading them. I guess I just haven't found the sweet spot for them yet.

dont have one but my 264 mags most accurate bullet is the 120 bt. Ive killed alot of deer with that combo and never found it lacking in any way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.