Nosler brass??

Tikkamike

I decided a while back after purchasing lapua bras for my 338LM that I liked it so much I wanted to try some nice brass I my other Guns. So I bought some nosler brass for my 300 win. I have not used it yet but it looks great Nice square primer pockets and. Consentric neck walls. What are your experience with bowler brass? I'm hoping it lasts as good as it looks.

I only have experience with one bag of once fired .223 Nosler brass which I bought from a local shop where I occasionally find really good deals on once fired stuff. To make a long story short I full body sized and trimmed all 140+ pieces and couldn't close the bolt on them with either of my .223's. I gave a piece of it to a friend to try to chamber in his Ruger .223 and he couldn't get the bolt closed either. It now sits in my bucket of scrap brass on the floor of my garage. I'm sure it was a flook or something - maybe it was fired in a machine gun or who knows what, but I won't be in too much of a hurry to try Nosler brass again.

If it was F/L resized it should chamber,maybe adjust your die down a little more.trimming should be done after sizing due to case stretching. Just my thoughts.

Me thinks that if you run your pressures at a reasonable level (low) you'll have no problems.

If not primer pockets will open quite quickly.

Just my experience.

The Nosler brass while better "prepared" than the rest of the domestic stuff is not in the same league as Lapua imho.

I decided a while back after purchasing lapua bras for my 338LM that I liked it so much I wanted to try some nice brass I my other Guns. So I bought some nosler brass for my 300 win. I have not used it yet but it looks great Nice square primer pockets and. Consentric neck walls. What are your experience with bowler brass? I'm hoping it lasts as good as it looks.

I bought 100 .243 NOSLER brass, had trouble with case necks, so tried to fire form into .423 AI, and split 5 out of 5 , soooooooooo have some here if anyone wants to try it themselves.

I only have experience with one bag of once fired .223 Nosler brass which I bought from a local shop where I occasionally find really good deals on once fired stuff. To make a long story short I full body sized and trimmed all 140+ pieces and couldn't close the bolt on them with either of my .223's. I gave a piece of it to a friend to try to chamber in his Ruger .223 and he couldn't get the bolt closed either. It now sits in my bucket of scrap brass on the floor of my garage. I'm sure it was a flook or something - maybe it was fired in a machine gun or who knows what, but I won't be in too much of a hurry to try Nosler brass again.

A small base die should fix your brass problem.
Best brass IMO:
1. Lapua
2. Norma
3. Nosler
4. Tie Winchester/Hornady
5. All the rest

I've heard that Nosler brass is soft. I've got some for my 300 RUM that I haven't shot yet so can't comment for sure. I think the concensus is that Lapua brass is #1 and all else a distant second.

I did alot of research on Nosler brass and from what I gathered it's only worth it if you want to save time on case prep (apparently they do a very good job). Some folks have had good success, but the majority of reviews I read said that the primer pockets loosen up with anything more then a mild load. I was really disappointed because I was looking for someone to come out with high end .260 and .280 rem brass and I thought Nosler would be the one. It'a a shame because they do such a good job with their bullets.

I have 100 pcs of 7mm rem mag nosler brass some of which has been fired 3 times and it is holding up well. I have never had the pleasure of using lapua brass since it is not made in the calibers I shoot but the nosler required very little initial prep compared to the winchester I normally shoot. So far I would rate the nosler brass at least as good as the winchester brass in the longevity department from my experience. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about hornady brass. That is one I have never tried but have wondered how it is since we don't hear many guys using it.

I have tried and also shoot different types of brass for different calibers and situations. One situation is the 280 Ackley Improved. Instead of fireforming another 50 rounds I decided to try Nosler brass in the 280 AI. So far I love it! Very consistent and I don't have to fireform. I also shoot Lapua, Win. Rem. and Norma in other calibers. The Nosler was great for my situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.