Nosler Ballistic Tips - 300 RUM Sendero

amaasbball1

I am wondering if anyone has experience shooting the 180 gr ballistic tips on game, particularly deer. And if anyone could share their load with me, that would be great!

I've got a stock Sendero and am currently shooting barnes ttsx but I've got a few hundred ballistic tips laying around that I'd like to load up for deer.

Thanks

Lot of people seem to like the Retumbo powder but I haven't had much luck with it until I step up to the 200 grain on up bullets. But it sounds like we are shooting the same Rigs. I have a stock Sendero and I've had the best luck with 78 or 83grains of IMR 4350 with a 180gr nosler ballistic tip. I'm shooting about a 1 1/2" group @ 210 yards. It's a bang flop shot to the whitetails I've been shooting. Hope this helps

Scotty

Have a rem 700 that shoots 78 grains of imr4350 180 ballistic tips pretty good. Right off the top of my head can't remember how fast they were going. Seems to do a good job on deer sized animals.

I've killed deer with my .300 RUM with the 180nbt and retumbo. I do not recall the load, if I can find the data I will post it. It is a safe load in my 700 bdl.

The BT is a good bullet for deer but has a little bit of a rep for being more frangible than some shooter's desires. In your RUM it's probably better suited for long shots where the velocity is less, or soft-tissue shots (not shoulders) at closer ranges. I believe this bullet is intended more for 30-06 velocities.

That being said, I haven't killed any game with either, this is from my own research. The BTs are much cheaper for practice and better suited for long-range (in my 300wm) and the ABs for the shorter shots or on ELK. Plus, Nosler claims the same BC and some folks can shoot them interchangeably with no difference in point-of-aim. My rifle just didn't care for the 180gr pills so I had to change bullets and my BT/AB plan never realized.

So, I cannot lend any first-hand experience but keep searching around and see what you come up with...just keep in mind what velocities they impact at, as more velocity means more frangible and less penetration, more meat damage, but often this also leads to more devastating shock.

Hope this helps some.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.