Nosler CT ballistic tips

Laker_Taker

I just started using Nosler CT ballistic tip 150 grain in my .270 I shot a doe at eighty yard and hit one rib and the bullet shattered into three pieces. Has anyone experienced this problem. My load is IMR4350 54gr and a federal 210 primer.

Well 80 yards isn't exactly a long shot, and for a BT type bullet, thats a tough shot. You would have been better using a premium bullet, but then you sacrifice long range expansion. Did you get your deer?? How far did it run after you hit it? I have used these bullets in my 25-06, particularly the 115g and they have exited every single deer I have shot, though I have to admit, none were closer than 200 yards. It's not surprising the bullet broke up, that is to be expected with that type of bullet at that range.

If you have a look, Dave King has some great pics of sectioned bullets elsewhere. The CT bullets use the old gen BT design. Very thin jacket. Not happy happy at high impact velocities. I assume you did recover the animal as you know that the bullet fragmented.

These bullets do not like hitting bone above 2800fps.

The new gen BT's are built very similar to the Accubond. These should work just fine on the same type of shot.

I just got a large 4X4 mulie. My bullet was a 150gr SST out of a 270 going 3000fps. At 94yds, it hammered a 2"X3" entrance hole and left with a 3" exit hole diagonally through the rib cage. Minimal meat bruising in the ribs too.

Let's just say the blood trail was obvious!!!

Maybe that would be a better choice for your rig. These SST's do shoot extremely well close and far. Cheaper too.

Jerry

Jerry, can you give or send me the details of your 270. I have not seen very many 270s in East TX shot over a chrono that give 3000 with the 130s without excessive pressure. I have loaded them to 3050 with RL 22, but that was cratering primers badly. Maybe its the weather here, but I can only push the 140s to 2890 and the 150s to 2835 fps before I start blowing stuff or losening pockets with 2 firings.

Thanks

I am shooting a box stock Savage 110C in 270. Standard 22" barrel. I have two, the other in 7RM and both enjoy running hard for their best accuracy.

My load and lots of components are 150gr SST uncoated, 56.5gr H4831SC, Fed 210M, in fireformed and collet neck sized LC69 brass. The case volume is visibly larger then the FL sized brass. Kind of like a mildly improved case.

After 5 to 6 reloads, pockets are still tight. I have found the LC brass to be the most tolerant of higher pressures. You just have to anneal the necks depending on batch. This brass is certainly capable of shooting as well as your barrel will allow despite being surplus brass with the quirks that go along with that.

I do neck turn before necking down and that seems to work out well. I turn to 12thou then neck down and fireform. That yields a neck in the 14 to 16 thou range which seems ideal for my rifles and chambers.

Every rifle is different and some don't shoot well when things get toasty. Also, different bullets have different bearing surfaces and jacket material which have a dramatic affect on bore friction.

I am thrilled that these Savages perform as well as they do.

Jerry

Dead eye,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "shattered into three pieces"? Did you recover the three pieces, were there three exits, just would like a little bit more info about the circumstances.

I have an vested interest because your load is very similar to the one I have worked up for my 30-06. I'm shooting 168 gr. Combined Tech. BT's, with my best guess being a velocity of ~ 2880, although I don't have a chronograph, so that's approximate at best.

I shot a doe and a button buck about a month ago with this load, similar circumstances to your shot. The deer were at about 100 yards, both broadside. The shots broke ribs going both in and out of the chest. The hearts were destroyed. The entrance wounds were ~ 1" and the exits were ~ 1.5". I was not able to recover the bullets. One deer ran ~ 15 yards bleeding heavily, the other spun around and died where it had stood. I was very happy with bullet performance based on these results.

Am interested to hear more details on your experience,
Carl

I did recover the doe it ran about 40 yards and went down. When I got out of the stand I found one big blood trail and two trails of white belly hair. At first I thought my scope was off. But after skinning the deer I had two exit wounds in the belly and one throught the chest. The one the went thru the chest left a softball size blood pocket against the hide. I have switch to Swift A Frames with 54gr IMR4350 and took a four point Buck the next weekend. One shot thru the neck at 100 yards.

Zeroed_in,

Don't know where I got "dead eye" from, maybe I was looking at two posts at once, my apologies.

I have some theories on what could have happened to cause the exit wounds you observed, but theories is all they are. The dynamics involved in the situation are complicated, especially as the bullet seperates and if it starts tumbling.

I don't fault you for switching to the A-frames, if you lacked confidence in the silvertips thats a good enough reason to change, confidence is key.

What kind of groups have you had with the A-frames? How do they compare with the silvertips in your gun?

If you are able to "test" them out more let us know they preform.

Good luck,
Carl

I used to use the dead_eye and then I switched to Zeroed_in. I had 1/2 inch grouping at 100 yards using 150gr nosler ct using 150gr of IMR4350. With the A frames I use the same load and I can get a 1 inch grouping at 100 yards. A frames are harder to fine tune. I also shoot a .30-.378 Weatherby magnum
if I use wipe out barrel cleaner I can keep 180gr A frames inside any target bullseye at 200 yards.

I also suspect my load 150gr ct nosler and IMR4350 54gr is pushing beyond the max. I have a old artical from a hunting magizine that says using 150 speer spitzer boattail and 54gr of IMR4350 your pushing 3000 and a half inch grouping at 100 yards. I have achived the half inch grouping but I think the high velocity might be making the bullet fragile.

Thanks For your info Carl.

Happy Hunting Aaron

[ QUOTE ]
I also suspect my load 150gr ct nosler and IMR4350 54gr is pushing beyond the max.

Happy Hunting Aaron

[/ QUOTE ]

I am shooting 57 gr IMR 4350 with a 165 gr HIB. With 150 gr bullets, depending on your rifle, you can go as high as 58 or 59 gr IMR 4350.

I suspect your loads are not as hot as you may think.

jm2c

Stephen,

I take it from you saying your shooting 165 gr Interbonds that you aren't shooting a .270, but some 30 cal, probably a 30-06 like me. While that load data would be fine for 150 gr bullets in an '06, I think it would be way to much for a .270. If I am wrong about what you meant let me know, I checked load data from several sources and it showed a max of around 53 - 54 for 150's in a .270 and around 59 for 150's in a .30-06. It should go without saying I felt I needed to point this out because of the risk involved.

Out of curiosity, how are the Interbonds shooting for you, and what are the specs on your load? I have a box of 165's but I can't get them to group as well as the silvertips.

Thanks,
Carl

My mistake.

They shoot great! 18" Ruger carbine 57 gr IMR 4350 2678 fps

It is some kind of flame thrower! Shooting it at dusk blinds me for a couple minutes, but thats not a problem as the deer thus far have only gone two feet. They group well at about 0.6" for 3 shots at 100 yds.

My dad and I have been shooting the same loads for years in several 06s, and all have performed wonderfully.

52 gr DuPont 4320 150 gr anything - 3000 fps
57 gr IMR 4350 165 gr anything - 2850 fps

both figures are with 24" barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.