Nosler accubond

I'm shooting a 700 Remington 24" factory barrel in 7Stw with a 160 Nosler accubond @2974 fps I shot an 5 pt bull last weekend over in Idaho my question is any of you have problems with accubonds disintegrating on impact. The shot was 60ish yrds

I used the 180gn Nosler Accubond in my Vanguard .30-06 in Africa last year. Single shots on two Wildebeests dropped within 30 feet. Ranges were 85 yards and 130 yards. Same on other African antelope. Wildebeest are notorious for being hard to kill.
I've gone from being a Nosler Partition exclusively for hunting to a frequent user of the Nosler Accubond for hunting.
Nothing wrong with these bullets.

I have a .30-06 with ABs, 168gr that do about 2700fps. Never had an issue with a deer, elk or a moose for that matter, I do not even recall putting a 2nd round into a deer.
I have experienced what you have done, I used to shoot in the front shoulder so the animal would go down and never move, however I would lose an entire front shoulder, this was learning and I apologize to everyone in advance.
Now I always aim 6"-8" back of the front shoulder and go for the vitals, never an issue. All the internal organs come out looking like soup. You are in great shape if you stay with the current loads you have. Congrats on the elk!

90 grain accubond out of a 243 win clocking 3100 FPS.

Whitetail buck shot on point of lower shoulder bone (quartered too)@ 16 yards. Bullet passed clean through resting behind far side shoulder. Bullet weighed right around 30 grains, perfect performance if you ask me!

JB ~
Accubonds can definitely blow a bit when you hit bone. Has been about perfect when just hitting just a rib but you might consider the Nosler E Tip bullet; arguably one of the best premier pass through mushrooming bullets.

I'm shooting a 700 Remington 24" factory barrel in 7Stw with a 160 Nosler accubond @2974 fps I shot an 5 pt bull last weekend over in Idaho my question is any of you have problems with accubonds disintegrating on impact. The shot was 60ish yrds
I have had fantastic luck with the Nosler Accubond And Accubond LR on multiple animals in the 270 win, 7 mag and 300 RUM. I have only had one 160 gr Nosler AB LR basically break up on large management whitetail here in south Texas. Shot was a broadside shot at 165 yards. Behind the shoulder impact. The majority of the bullet was lodged under the opposite shoulder but from a 160 gr bullet only 89.3 gr was remaining. The rest of the bullet looked like bird shot up throughout the neck and head region. Blew out one eye as well. I spoke with Nosler and their thoughts were it was one of those unexplained things that happened. Bucked dropped in its tracks! See attachment. I will continue hunting with them they are a fantastic bullet.

Attachments

• 51A9058D-91BC-44C3-824F-B270AF64AFF2.jpeg
    51A9058D-91BC-44C3-824F-B270AF64AFF2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
  • D79FB2F6-9196-40C7-839D-97DB2BD3F5DD.jpeg
    D79FB2F6-9196-40C7-839D-97DB2BD3F5DD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 18AF9E5A-D6AE-4B9B-9E3E-580FC17A7D16.jpeg
    18AF9E5A-D6AE-4B9B-9E3E-580FC17A7D16.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Shot a number of deer and antelope using 110gr 257 Roberts from 20yds to 245yrds all shots thru the ribs broadside to facing quarter shots, complete pass thru's, perfect performance. Most of my elk shot with 340 Wby 225 accubond 150-547yrds one shot kills, bang flop pass thru's, all lung shots. wound channels showed text book damage. Partner uses same bullet in 7mm. We avoid shooting shoulders.

The Accubonds are rated from 1800-3200 fps. If your using them at the high end I would use heavy for caliber choices. I my self haven't had a problem with whitetail sized game. But I would choose a different bullet if I were hunting anything bigger with a high velocity round.

I have had fantastic luck with the Nosler Accubond And Accubond LR on multiple animals in the 270 win, 7 mag and 300 RUM. I have only had one 160 gr Nosler AB LR basically break up on large management whitetail here in south Texas. Shot was a broadside shot at 165 yards. Behind the shoulder impact. The majority of the bullet was lodged under the opposite shoulder but from a 160 gr bullet only 89.3 gr was remaining. The rest of the bullet looked like bird shot up throughout the neck and head region. Blew out one eye as well. I spoke with Nosler and their thoughts were it was one of those unexplained things that happened. Bucked dropped in its tracks! See attachment. I will continue hunting with them they are a fantastic bullet.
Oh here is the buck. Left eye blown out plus lower jaw was broken from the fragments.

Attachments

• 5464B8E2-A9E7-4703-9BC5-2846533DC481.png
    5464B8E2-A9E7-4703-9BC5-2846533DC481.png
    13.6 MB · Views: 89
I've been using the 200gr NAB in my 300wm at 2980 fps, since they 1st came out. I get sub moa accuracy and killed everything from coyotes , antelope, wt and muledeer, and many Elk at all ranges. very satisfied with the results. My only problem with accubonds is when I carry them in my on stock cartridge holder, i sometimes knock the tips off

Elk are large critters with big bones. Center punching a shoulder would test any bullets limitations. Nothing but good things to say about accubonds or any nosler bullet. If the partition had a higher bc it would be the perfect hunting bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.