Nosler .257 Roberts +P brass for 6mm Rem???

twoftagl

**Edited title to say "Nosler"**

With the lack of 6mm Brass, I was considering buying the now-plentiful .257 Roberts +P brass to form 6mm Remington...but a couple questions arise:

As .257 Roberts is the parent case for the 6mm Rem and works fine to re-form, will the thicker brass of the +P cases be desirable or detrimental for re-forming into 6mm Rem? If detrimental, what changes should I take in the re-forming process?

Nosler Custom brass has a bit of a mixed reputation; in your opinion will the more stout +P brass offset some of these softness/primer pocket concerns, especially amid some folks saying that their smaller caliber brass does better than their larger stuff?

I'd really like to get brass setup for my 6mm, and I'm at the point where I ALMOST don't mind paying their prices for it, as long as it will work well. If that isn't fairly certain I'll wait til the right brass comes around.

Your thoughts?

Chris

Last edited:
Re: Norma .257 Roberts +P brass for 6mm Rem???

The parent case for them both is the 7x57 Mauser.

You should have no issues using .257 Roberts brass. Their exactly the same dimensions, the only difference is that the .257 has a larger neck diameter.

Last edited:
I thought the 257 Roberts was pre-war and the 244 Rem didn't come around til the fifties?

Either way, my concern is that with the extra thickness of the +P cases during reform, and whether or not Nosler's Top-Dollar brass (specifically in this case) is worth it?

My other options are emptying 3 boxes of winchester super-x for 60 more cases or buying 100 Remington cases for the same price of the Noslers and start culling brass. Not too fond of either of those if the reforms will work.

Chris

I thought the 257 Roberts was pre-war and the 244 Rem didn't come around til the fifties?

Either way, my concern is that with the extra thickness of the +P cases during reform, and whether or not Nosler's Top-Dollar brass (specifically in this case) is worth it?

My other options are emptying 3 boxes of winchester super-x for 60 more cases or buying 100 Remington cases for the same price of the Noslers and start culling brass. Not too fond of either of those if the reforms will work.

Chris
You are correct.

Sorry, hungover from last night, my brain is spaghetti today. LOL

The parent case for them both is the 7x57 Mauser.

You should have no issues using .257 Roberts brass. Their exactly the same dimensions, the only difference is that the .257 has a larger neck diameter.

That's almost correct, but not quite true. The 6mm rem has a steeper shoulder angle (26* v. 20*) and a shorter "body". 7x57 and 257 Bob are both 1.7277" to the shoulder while the 6mm is 1.7249".

I'm building a 6mm also and brass availability was my biggest concern. But it was more of a concern to have 257 Rob brass for my already-built-and-shooting 257. I picked up 200 once-fired 6mm Rem cases and culled them down to 100 good ones. I used some of the less-than-savory cases to experiment with reforming them to 257. It didn't work very well due to several factors. Thankfully, the Nosler brass became available at about that time so I stocked up.

I don't think there is much of an issue with forming the 257 to 6mm. The shoulder will be worked and pushed back more than it would with forming 257 from 7x57, but it should work.

Matt

Haha Mudrunner, just have another one you'll feel better!

BTW, did you get to shoot that 300wm in the 700 5r yet? Mine didn't like any 180gr bullets but got the 210 VLD at 3/4 moa without testing seating depth yet. I started at 72gr of H-1000, pressure signs beginning at 79.2 and settled on 77.2 at 2895 fps. Win Brass, Fed 215 and .015" off the lands.

Chris

Only issue may be thickened neck walls when going down in caliber, all of that extra brass has to go somewhere. You may end up having to ream the insides of your case necks.

Haha Mudrunner, just have another one you'll feel better!

BTW, did you get to shoot that 300wm in the 700 5r yet? Mine didn't like any 180gr bullets but got the 210 VLD at 3/4 moa without testing seating depth yet. I started at 72gr of H-1000, pressure signs beginning at 79.2 and settled on 77.2 at 2895 fps. Win Brass, Fed 215 and .015" off the lands.

Chris
Not yet. The last 2 months have been pretty crappy in my world. And tonight was just the icing on the cake. I'm pretty sure now that my 2015 will be another BS year.

I can't believe we just lost to ohio state...........

I've got ladder test loads at 70, 71, 72, & 73 of 7828 SSC (initial rough ladder test to get an idea of a max load and where to go between). With 210 VLD's. 1993 Federal Match brass (new). Fed 215M primers. And seated 0.010" off the lands, which fits nicely into the factory mag box as a repeater.

Thanks, Matt. Has the Nosler been good brass for you in the Roberts?

Chris

So far, they've been fine. I've only loaded 30 of them working up a load so I can't comment on longevity yet. It is nice to be able to just pull them out of the box, inspect them and not have to do any real case prep. The winchester cases I bought earlier needed a lot of case prep because of very large burrs on the flash hole, dented case mouths, and most of them needed to be trimmed also. None of that on the Nosler cases. It was great.

Matt

10guage: I expected some troubles with that. Which brings other questions as well, such as what size, as it would depend highly upon how the necks are sized. My guess would be to form the brass, get a reamer that just barely touches the major diameter and cleans up the doughnut. Is this about how you would recommend?

Morcey: That's good to know on the brass prep, as I do not find much fun in it.

(caution...the following is a sidebar not related to the rest of the thread)
Mudrunner: I did the same, one round of each checking for pressure and as a bonus two ladder nodes stood out so I OCW'd the upper node and found a good OCW AND group size at 77.2 of H-1000.
The mag on my 5R is at 3.700" so with the 210s in the lands (COAL 3.592"), I've still got .108" clearance. I imagine yours is similar, no problems loading LOOOOOOOOOONG.
I've been on the manhunt for 215Ms for the last two years though. I've got BR2s and I'd probably even go 2-for-1 for some 215Ms since I can't seem to find em. Grrr

Better luck though with the new year.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.