Noob needs help. Torn between building a gun or buying

Yes. Definitely reloading! Thanks for the help
Guys. I've just always been a 300yd max guy and im tired of seeing bucks pop out 500yds away on the other side of the field!

Anybody have a barrel recommendation if i do the build? I like the HS precision adjustable stock I have on my 700pss 308. So, I think I'll just stick with that. Barrel....I have no idea.

Also, can you get your money back out of a custom if I decide im not happy with it?
No you are not likely to get your money back out of a custom if you are unhappy with it.

Follow the classifieds here and on GB and similar places and you'll see that generally a guy is going to lose 10-20% on a factory gun and 30 to as much as 50-60% on a custom unless you're willing to ride it for a very long time hoping someone will take it off of your hands.

Also since you're an M-70 guy let me suggest you look into Snowy Mountain Rifles and Montana Rifles. I think you'll be very happy with their work.

Buy what you feel is best for you, but here is my current. Savage 110 FCP-HS in 300 win mag, the only thing I have done is re-torque the action screws to 65in lbs, added a brake, cheekrest, and found some loads for it.

You gotta love them Savages! :cool:gun)

I can't tell but is the MB a Witt Machine?

You gotta love them Savages! :cool:gun)

I can't tell but is the MB a Witt Machine?

Yes it is a Witt Machine. I was hesitant because of the clamp design, and couldn't ship my rifle off due to time and hunting so I gave it a try. I have so far been happy with it and it is staying in place and works good.
My point I was trying to get across to the OP was regardless of what brand, SOMETIMES it doesn't take much to get them shooting, but yes I do really like my Savage. :)

I've finally come to understand that the reason there are so many aftermarket parts out there for Remington's is just the fact there's so much that can be improved upon! :D

Why, I was thinking this was a riffle hunting site what with all the guns and such, but it seems this feller ^ has it as a fishing site what with all the trolling he's doing :D

Yeah, btw most (all?) modern, mass production firearms are not truly MOA outta the box - regardless of the guarantee they stick on.

However, most can be polished up and hot-rodded (and by developing custom, home-brewed accuracy loads) and accomplish MOA accuracy.

As has been said, you will not recoup your investment on a custom.

You can do well if you sell a factory rifle kept in good shape.

If you want to make money by real estate.

IIWM factory: Wby, Savage, Tikka, Browning and more. If Rem get a higher end like a Sendero. You can do very well at $1000 or less.

If you go custom, well the sky is the limit but it's yours and if it works your pride.

Why, I was thinking this was a riffle hunting site what with all the guns and such, but it seems this feller ^ has it as a fishing site what with all the trolling he's doing :D

Yeah, btw most (all?) modern, mass production firearms are not truly MOA outta the box - regardless of the guarantee they stick on.

However, most can be polished up and hot-rodded (and by developing custom, home-brewed accuracy loads) and accomplish MOA accuracy.
Being the current owner of 6 Remingtons yes, I do feel free to rag on them from time to time.

You are correct though. With modern machining techniques it's rare to come across one from any of the major manufacturers that cannot be made to shoot decently with a little work.

I have a personal preference for M-70's but I have four 700's that are extremely accurate and none of them took a whole lot of work to get there.

I'm in the process of finishing up another 700 in 300 Rum right now that I should have shooting in the next day or so and I'm going to be extremely disappointed if it does not shoot extremely well.

Buy once cry once. Get a custom action, doesn't matter which one. They are all better than 70 or 700 etc. Same with the barrel, brux, bartlien, krieger it doesn't matter. McMillan or Manners it doesn't matter. Caliber it doesn't matter. You will be happy and have some resale value. Good luck.

Yes it is a Witt Machine. I was hesitant because of the clamp design, and couldn't ship my rifle off due to time and hunting so I gave it a try. I have so far been happy with it and it is staying in place and works good.
My point I was trying to get across to the OP was regardless of what brand, SOMETIMES it doesn't take much to get them shooting, but yes I do really like my Savage. :)

I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking of putting the Witt Machine MB on my new Savage 11 FNCS in .300 WSM until it's time to re-barrel. I'm getting <1 MOA (or better if I do my part :cool:) at 200 yards with factory ammo >>> GunBroker.com Message Forums - Got my 1st shortmag ever ...

Haha. Lots of opinions, and I appreciate them all. You guys made that clear as mud though. Everybody has had different successes with different setups. Im going to finish off my 308 and patiently look for a good deal on a custom 300win that someone has tired of, or starting a new build, or needs some cash, or doesn't use anymore. If you know of one, send them my way!! Thanks again.

Haha. Im so glad I found this site. This is my first post in this forum. I've already found 2 NF scopes from a meet here, and I have spent HOURS reading through these posts. I guess I was hoping for some definititive truths when looking for a 300...ie, avoid savage and win, go with 2005-2008 rem 700p. Or, for everyone say to buy the stock and barrel and finish the gun. Haha. I wasn't really expecting to have so many different opinions, but that's the business I guess.

I do appreciate all of the input

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts