Nodes, Antinodes and Standing waves?

I find it very easy to let my .243, 6.5 Creedmoor and .223 to free recoil with just my finger on the trigger. But my 300 Weatherby 7mm Rem mag and 30-06 are admittedly hard to get used to. I still can do it, but they are definitely a different animal. I let them go free, but still have to stop them with my shoulder.

It definitely shows that knowing your rifles and their actions in the dynamic stage of firing. I shoot 225s in my 300 Weatherby, 208s in the '06 and 162s in the 7 mag, and all three will cut your eye if you don't know how they recoil. They fit me well, and I can shoot them in free recoil, but that doesn't mean my buddy should try it with them, until he sees how they recoil...

I have never had a Weatherby tattoo, Ever.Thank god.

My normal eye relief is such that I want a faint shadow in the scope ID. Not only does this definitely give me enough eye relief but ALWAYS centers my eye with the dead center of the lenses, thus greatly reducing parallax error if any is there.

I had a 10-22 that would regularly fire five shot 5/8" groups with Yellow Jackets at fifty yards. One day I had this great idea. I went to the hardware store and picked up some 24 grit sand paper with adhesive back. I cut a piece to fit the forearm of the .22 and stuck it on. I laid it on the bag and sorta snuggled it in. Then I got behind it and fired a group. To my dismay the group measured 2"! Removing the sand paper and firing a group again produce another 5/8" like usual.

My shooting definitely improved when I started using a good read bag, learning to use said bag and loading the bipod.
I used to just let the rifle just hop up and away when I fired. Once I learned to get the natural point of aim, load the bipod and get the rifle to ride in the rear bag straight back, I then learned my rifles are more accurate than I am...

I have never had a Weatherby tattoo, Ever.Thank god.

My normal eye relief is such that I want a faint shadow in the scope ID. Not only does this definitely give me enough eye relief but ALWAYS centers my eye with the dead center of the lenses, thus greatly reducing parallax error if any is there.

All I can say is....

It's amazing how much blood is in your eyebrow...:D

Yup, it's all about consistency! If you have a light weight hunting rifle that requires your left hand to hold the forestock to minimize muzzle jump, then use your left hand to hold the forestock when shooting off the bench, prone and standing (luckily, we all pretty much do that standing already). Anyway POI shift in different positions will be minimized.

Yup, it's all about consistency! If you have a light weight hunting rifle that requires your left hand to hold the forestock to minimize muzzle jump, then use your left hand to hold the forestock when shooting off the bench, prone and standing (luckily, we all pretty much do that standing already). Anyway POI shift in different positions will be minimized.

This is how I shoot carry weight hunting rifles. I sight them in with a bipod prone and hold the stock with my left hand. I keep the bipod on and shoot with it standing. It does help with consistency. It helps for me to control muzzle jump on light hunting rifles. And as was said, it's all about consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts