No thank you. I do not need a third shot.

projp

While trying a new gun at 1000 yds I thought I would shoot 600 first to see if I was on paper. After the first shot the second one seemed to have missed everything and so I went downrange to see what the heck happened.
The guys told me I had to take another shot. HA, fat chance.

Attachments

• 600 yds.jpg
    600 yds.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 122
Don't mess up that group ...! Leave it alone...... Great shooting.:D
What gun, Caliber .. more details...

This is a budget build.
Remington 700 Cabela's run, advertised as a BDL, but looked like an SPS with a blued fluted barrel. About $500 on sale.
Stock is a B&C Alaskan II, $250.
Scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44. Cameraland had the vplex reticle on clearance a while ago for a little under $300.
Custom turret $100
Rings, and bases were laying around.
$1,150 total.
I am just a dummy and did it myself. Nothing special other than bolting it together and working up loads.
First 3 shots at 1000yd were about 6" as I remember.
300WM using Barnes 175 LRX's.

Attachments

• 300 WM1.jpg
    300 WM1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 300 WM 2.jpg
    300 WM 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 104
That's awesome. Nice work. Sure is nice when everything comes together like that.

Last year a friend of mine spent about the same amount of money on a Winchester M70 300 win mag and a scope... although his results were a little different. The best the gun would do was about 4 inches at 100 yards. A true pile of $#!T.

35 years ago when spotlighting coyotes was legal we would leave for the desert about sunset. Before it got dark we would throw a bag of shot on the hood of the truck and make sure our rifles were still on. If you ever had the first two shots touch you were required to take a third. (I don't remember of many 1 & 2 touching let alone all 3).
We were hunters not benchrest types.

You think that is good??? I have shot litteraly thousands of ONE HOLE GROUPS...OUT TO OVER 2000 YARDS!!!!

Of course, they were ALL one shot groups!! :cool:

Very nice shooting. Obviously some luck involved but you don't get lucky if you aren't already very good.

Reminds me of being a poor college student going to the 100 yard range where I was a member and shooting my relatively new-to-me CMP Garand. I was sighting it in, and being of VERY limited means I did not have an optic of any kind. So I had to wait for the one other guy on the line to finish shooting to go check every shot after every adjustment.

After just a couple shots, he finished up and took sympathy on my situation and offered to spot for me with his scope until I got zeroed. I fired one, made an adjustment to center, then another which he called dead center. I fired another with no adjustment, which he called a complete miss. Shooting a ton of iron sight at the time I did not believe it and asked to look through the scope.

That wasn't a miss, I told him, I just put it through the same hole. We made a $5 bet on that, and I went to retrieve the target. He was incredulous that, indeed, you could just see the ovaling of the hole where the second bullet had gone through. Shaking his head, he offered me the $5 (which I told him to keep for his help) and he left.

I DID fire the third shot, once he was safely gone. About an inch off the other two. Still not bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.