No RED LOCTITE !!!!

pineywoods

I'm sure most are already aware of this, just a reminder....DO NOT use red LOCTITE on bases or rings !
I got ahold of a friends rifle & he had put the stuff on both the rings & bases. Applying heat with a torch got the rings off, & had to drill out two of the base screws.
I use the blue stuff (uncle mikes guntite) & never had a problem removing screws on rings & bases. I'm sure the red stuff is great in other applications but keep it away from the scope mounts....

Thanks for that one, Pineywoods.

Caution Confusing Packaging - Locktite Red vs Loctite Blue | The Hobby-Machinist - The FRIENDLY Machinist Forum

The caution on the No. 271 (Red) reads:
"
Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)."

242 (Blue) reads:
"
Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

Like I tell my kids; read the directions

A high temp range soldering iron will break them loose. Can apply concentrated heat by holding tip directly in contact with screw head, when she smokes will come right out and haven't "overheated" anything around it.

Not necessary to use loctite on the rings. Spring tension alone will keep the screws from loosening.

Not necessary to use loctite on the rings. Spring tension alone will keep the screws from loosening.

I never have either. Most of my rifles have Talley lightweights & I use a fat wrench to set my screws at 20 in-lbs. Blue LOCTITE on bases & torque to 25 in-lbs. Been using this system for about 15 years with zero failures....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.