Red Dots

bw814

I`m looking at red dot sights to put on a turkey gun and I have an issue when I look thru them the dot does not have a sharp contrast I think they call this starbursting, My question is does any one make a red dot that you can adjust the contrast of the dot to your eyes?

On some, I find the same thing. Don't turn the brightness all the way up. Just have it to where it is visible enough to see it on your target, and it will appear sharper. During low light, the setting can be lower than in the bright daylight.

We have a choice to carry one of two optics on our SRT rifles. Aimpoint (mostly PRO), which has unbelievable battery life-It can be left on with no worry about draining the battery, and Eotech (I carry a 518 on my M-4). We have found both to be really sturdy, and nearly indestructible. Bi-weekly training with inadvertent bumps and knocks and they hold their zero. Great thing about the red dot is that you don't need a perfect cheek weld or eye relief to place accurate fire, as long as you can see the dot and it is on target, you can hit it. Not possible with a scope with crosshairs. Cheek weld and sight picture are more critical.

Last edited:
I believe that could be from an astigmatism. From what I read.

One option may be an etched reticle? I have a vortex spitfire prism sight that is etched. The other big plus is that you still have a reticle if the battery dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.