Red Dot Sights & magnifiers

Longhunter1750

Anybody here use holographic style red dot sights backed with a magnifier on their AR's, or any other rifle. I am seriously thinking of switching to red dots on my AR's but would most definitely have to have some magnification as my eyesight aint what it used to be. I was thinking 3X should be strong enough. Thoughs, opinions and pics if you have them. Please and thank you!

It all depends on what you are looking to do. A red dot typically is used for fast target acquisition at relatively short range, think clearing a house. Out to about 100 yards a red dot make an average shooter a great shooter. Magnified optics are used at longer ranges. Combining the two can give you med range with the magnifier and the ability to remove the magnifier and use the 1x red dot up close. I have never used the magnifier on my AR's, I have red dots on some and magnified optics on others. Shooting a red dot isn't like shooting a scope as the red dot can be large (4-6 or larger MOA dot). It is typically Minute Of Bad guy not Minute Of Angle. Another options is a 1-4 or 1-6 scope with illumination. SWFA, Vortex and Nightforce make some like this and might be worth considering.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.