Back up red dot on higher magnified

(Not 100% sure if this is in the right category, if not I apologize in advance, not sure where else to put it). What is everyone's thoughts on having a back up red dot on your hunting rifle. In my opinion I can kind of see it being a little bit of an advantage, allowing you an easier time getting your scope animals at a distance. Just put the dot over them and then settle down into your higher magnified optic. (after using other optic sources to scout the animal out as not to unintentionally flag someone). There is also the potential use for up close, you spooked the animal situations. So you don't have to try and find a moving animal though your magnified optic.

That is some of the benefits that I can see with using a back up red dot. I'm aware that the set up has cons as well. Such as batteries, more parts= more complexity. What is everyone else's opinions on using a back up red dot on a hunting rifle.

Thank you for your time and opinion

I think if someone needs a red dot on their rifle to acquire the animal in their scope they shouldn't be shooting that scope.

I do think it could be very useful for a coyote rifle where an animal can get to within a few yards without you seeing it. Your scope may be set for 100 yard shot and now you have a 10 yard shot.

I can imagine this as useful for closer shots. At some distance and beyond I don't think it would help anymore (or hurt).

Use a power zoom scope. Acquire target at lowest magnification them zoom in. I have to agree with CBS, that if you cant find your target in your scope, you need a different scope, more practice, or make sure gun/scope setup fits you. When I point my gun at a target, the target is in my field of view once I have my cheek on the stock.

What magnification are you trying to use?

I'll take 1000 yard shots on 16x or less, and 4-16x scopes are very common. I normally mount a 2-7x scope for anything inside 500 yards. Thermal is base 2x and use that out to several hundred yards. Anything over 20-25x mirage comes into play in sunlight even when it's cold outside, my 35x and 80x scopes are limited to benchrest/ precision shooting, or prairie dogs.

More magnification does not equal more precision.

I've had deer rub up against a blind I'm sitting in.... doesn't mean I shoot them 😂

I think if someone needs a red dot on their rifle to acquire the animal in their scope they shouldn't be shooting that scope.

I do think it could be very useful for a coyote rifle where an animal can get to within a few yards without you seeing it. Your scope may be set for 100 yard shot and now you have a 10 yard shot.
This is a very common setup for us when hog hunting. Especially when using Thermals. I have killed a good number of hogs that charge us down when we approach the downed animals.

This is a very common setup for us when hog hunting. Especially when using Thermals. I have killed a good number of hogs that charge us down when we approach the downed animals.
Bet your base magnification is still in the 2x to 4x range, and that you aren't mounting a March 8-80x with a clip-on and trying to count eyelashes on the pigs.

It's not unheard of to use that setup for long range competition. I can get just as close looking over the top of the scope as I can with a red dot, but it took a decent amount of practice to really get it down. I was all over the place searching for targets for my first several matches. I put a red dot on the second comp rifle I built, then wound up moving it to a handgun when I realized it didn't really help me. You can also zoom out to get close then zoom back in, but that's a lot slower.

Bet your base magnification is still in the 2x to 4x range, and that you aren't mounting a March 8-80x with a clip-on and trying to count eyelashes on the pigs.
I use them on my March Genesis's. It was designed specifically for this. Works great.