NM elk hunt

vthokee

I have been here in NM for going on two years. I am looking to do my first elk hunt with a rifle this year. I am usually a 100% bow hunter but want to take out my rifle and get one under my belt first. I am looking at units 51,52 and 53 this year. I have a friend from work who is applying as well. We are putting in for the same units so hopefully we both draw. Looking for suggestions on units and what to expect. Nt looking for anyones honey holes.

53 is tough but 51 and 52 are good elk units. I would put in for 16d, 52, and 51 in that order. Good luck and I took my first rifle bull last year in 52. All others were with bow. It felt like cheating.

I've lived here for five years now and seems the only tags I can get are deer and javelina. I've hunted deer in 13,37and 38. seen elk always. almost every day deer hunting. not many deer.

Don't waist your time hunting deer unless in 2b or you know the area real well! 37 the numbers are way down like most of the state. 36 used to have some good bucks. If you draw 52 you will see elk and a possibly a few deer. Good luck with your draws! I am heading down to unit 30 for Barabry sheep Saturday!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.