NM unit 34 deer hunt

bakkaman

Hi,
My 13 year old son and I have Buck deer tags (rifle) for unit 34 this November. First time hunting this unit. Not sure if we are going to camp or look for a place to stay. Also not sure if this units lends itself to hunting on horseback. Would love any opinions in this area. We love to get away from the crowds and have a little adventure with our hunting. We are from Anthony, NM and will try to get up several times before the hunt to help learn our way around. If anyone out there could give us some starting points, good camping areas or put us in touch with someone that could help us out, that would be great.
Thanks,
Mark

It's been a few years since I've been there but look at Dry Canyon just outside of High Rolls. That road goes way back there!! You'll find deer, bear, turkey and elk out there and there is a lot of land to hunt. Most people will hunt the road but you can camp back there and walk in away from the road to get away from people.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you. I appreciate the information and will check out that area our next trip up before the hunt. I was also able to get my son a youth cow tag for the same unit right after Christmas. I will keep you posted. Regards, Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.