Where to retire in NM for best elk, deer and antelope hunting

valleysnyper

Hi , I will be retiring in the next 5 yrs and have been looking at Newexico for awhile. My question is, where is best public hunting in the state. I looked in the so western part south of the Gila wilderness area, seems promissing but I havent been there.
Are there any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance, Gary

A

The Gila wilderness is great for elk and deer. Some of the best antelope hunting is closer to the northeast side of the state but there are antelope all over New Mexico. I have hunted auodad around Roswell, Ibex near Deming, and Oryx on the missile range.

Valley, the Gila National Forrest is elk central, deer too. I heard there are some landowner tags there, perhaps not any more but worth checking. Antelope are usually not near decent size towns, but a little travel isn't bad. Have been to NM a lot and we really like Riudoso. Decent infrastructure and climate not far from the Gila. Good luck

Valley, the Gila National Forrest is elk central, deer too. I heard there are some landowner tags there, perhaps not any more but worth checking. Antelope are usually not near decent size towns, but a little travel isn't bad. Have been to NM a lot and we really like Riudoso. Decent infrastructure and climate not far from the Gila. Good luck

I agree with Dosh Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are smack dab in the middle of elk country beautiful country also. Landowner tags are always available in NM, but in all honesty I have drawn an elk tag 8 years in a row.

There are definitely antelope around the Lordsburg and Deming area but the best antelope hunting I have seen is near Clayton. I was born and raised in Clayton and spent a lot of time chasing antelope near there, it is also close to Colorado so the mule deer and Elk are found around Clayton. I spent the last 10 years in Deming and just moved to Montana a couple months ago and I have spent a lot of time in the Gila Wilderness. If you have any questions let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.