NM 16A Bull Elk Tag in Hand!

distantfoe

Ater only 3 years of putting in for New Mexico bull elk tags, I drew a 16a late October rifle tag! (Never thought it would happen to be honest but who knew this year) Money is not plentiful so I'm going to try DIY. I've spent a lot of time searching the internet to get an idea of what to expect and what areas will hold elk in the last two weeks of October will very little success.

Any ideas of what I'm getting into in respect road conditions, terrain, etc. would be appreciated. Still not sure to plan on a backpack style hunt or camp at the truck and atv/hike in/out daily.

I hunt 16 c on the dividing line with 16 a.I've lived in this area most of my life and have never seen it as dry as it is now.Water will be the key unless we get some summer rains.If you come in from Winston through Beaverhead you'll will enter 16 a on Cooney prarie.If we get moisture there will be elk on Cooney.It is about 50 miles back to Winston and there is no fuel any closer than that.There is a pay phone in Beaverhead;but it usually won't take money so bring a paid phone card if you need to call out.No cell service.
The forest service is starting to implement forest plan G and if they get it done a lot of roads will be closed and there will be no driving off road to retrieve down game;so bring a back pack.16 a is a huge area and some great country can be reached from Reserve into the Eagle peak country.I don't know what the camping situation will be under plan G.They are saying no dispersed camping on the back roads;but I don't know what that means.Contact the Forest Circus Gila area!
If we get rain or snow in October the roads can get really muddy in a hurry.Sorry I can't scout around for you as I drew a 17 muzzle loader this year and will be hunting the Sacrementos. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.