Nikon M308 scope

milkie62

A new field & stream just opened up near me and I can get The Nikon M 308 scope
4-16x 42 with the BDC 800 reticle with discount coupon for $349.Was wondering if anybody had any input on it ? I do have a 308 but was more considering as using it as a test scope for rifles at the range and since the price is kinda decent a beater scope for a groundhog truck gun. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a monarch 4-16x which is the same thing without the 308 turret or reticle. I like it. Fairly clear and has always held zero and is repeatable. $350 is a good price. I got mine for $430 or something like that several years ago.

I have a Monarch 2.5x10 on a 308 and I like it.Did not know the M308 was based on the Monarch.

Nikon's M and P-Series of optic's are built on the MONARCH and PROSTAFF platform's. I have used the M-223 and M-308 as well as the P-223 on numerous firearms with no complaints. I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon and put ten's of thousands of rounds down range each year while testing and photographing scopes so that I can pass along correct information to Nikon customer's. Nikon's BDC 800 reticle will let you use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo to get the greratest possible down range accuracy. I have used M-223 scopes to hit 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 600 yards and watched guy's new to BDC reticle scopes do it as well. Drop me a note if you have any question's. He's a pic of my 80 year old father in law getting ready for deer season. I used the AR which he said he didn't like, the huge smile on his face while banging steel at 200 yards said otherwise.

dave2rifles.png

Well they were out of them but got them to go for the Monarch 3 4-16x-50.I thought I got a good deal at $349.95.

That is a great deal! Post some pics when you get it all mounted up. The 50mm objective really brightens up early mornings and evenings.

For poops and giggles I filled out a job application and they hired me on the spot for te gun dept.I may pickup some more sale items since I have 4 more $100 off coupons for spending $300. Monarch 5 10x42 binocs I can get for $199 and the Monarch 7 10x42 I can get for $349 with my coupon.Are the 7 series that much better ?

The MONARCH 7's are definitely better for early morning and late evening viewing. I picked up a pair of MONARCH 8x30's during Turkey season and have been taking them with me while scouting this past month. Light weight and very clear. Not quite the filed of view of the 42's but also less $.
There was a review a few years ago where a well known optic's guy said he thought the MONARCH 7's 10x42's were better then some Euro bino's costing 4x as much.

That is a great deal! Post some pics when you get it all mounted up. The 50mm objective really brightens up early mornings and evenings.

I am thinking of picking up a Prostaff 3.5-14 today for my 223 Mossberg for $199.Think this will work out OK ?

Nikon's PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40 will work great on an AR. I have one on a coyote rig. Nikon calls it the Active Target scope. As soon as you get fur in the circle you send a round. Awesome when a coyote is hauling butt. The PROSTAFF 5 is an upgrade from the baseline PROSTAFF, I think it will work great for you. Make sure to choose AR specific mounts. A Custom Turret is available for that scope as well should you decide you want to dial in your yardage. By the way, $199 is a smokin' price!

I recently had a PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14 on a 22-250. No trouble at all banging steel at 400 yards using the the BDC reticle.

P5TC308.jpg

I have 2 PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14 First Focal Plane scopes on order for 2 CZ 455's that I use. Can't wait to get them dialed in. Of course they are such a hot ticket they have been back ordered for 6 weks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.