Nikon buckmaster scope?

I do.
4.5-14x 40mm Buckmaster with side parallax adjustment and mil dots.

I can adjust up to a 300yd zero, and back to 100yd without problems. It holds zero well of course.
Adjustment range in MOA isn't huge, so be mindful of that for most Nikons over 10x when contemplating a long range scope.
The side focus feature works quite well, though as with most, it isn't calibrated exactly.
Depth of field is pretty good. I can focus down to about 10yds on 4.5x with the parallax adjustment/side focus set at minimum (40yds or so). Nikon uses a field stop in these scopes I think, so FOV is probably reduced some in exchange for additional depth of field. It makes for a crisper picture at different ranges.

For reference, the glass clarity is just slightly inferior to my dad's Bushnell 4200 and my Vortex Viper. It's really only visible at very long range on very small items or an eye contrast chart.
It exhibits no spherical aberration, glare, flare or other obvious irritating flaws.

I have the same scope as Poodleshooter1 just mentioned except mine has the BDC reticule. I am enamored with it (even though it is for sale in the classifieds). The clarity is great especially for the price they sell at. Leupold scopes are what my budget can afford at this point and they are what I am able to judge other scopes by. The Nikons are right up there near Leupold for clarity. Close but not quite. Like I said though, for the price the Nikon Buckmasters are fantastic. Controls are nice and crisp when adjusting, is repeatable and well made.

I just recently purchased the 6-18 Buckmaster because I was so happy with the 4.5-14x model. I am just as happy with that scope as well. I do wish it had 1/4" elevation like the 4.5-14 model instead of 1/8" though. I am not a big fan of 1/8" elevation knobs.

I have heard too much negative press about the current crop of higher power Nikon Monarchs to even consider them right now. They(Nikon) have some clarity issues to fix.

Last edited:
I have one in 6-18 with a Mildot reticule. It's on one of my 6BR prairie dog rifles and it works ok. I spend all day running the elevation up and down and it always returns to zero. The big problem with it is the 1/8 moa adjustments. Anything past 400 yards and I have to pass zero on the elevation knob and then it's easy to get lost. I did make a zero stop for it so I can find my zero again. Other than that, it's a good scope for the money.

I have one in 6-18 with a Mildot reticule. It's on one of my 6BR prairie dog rifles and it works ok. I spend all day running the elevation up and down and it always returns to zero. The big problem with it is the 1/8 moa adjustments. Anything past 400 yards and I have to pass zero on the elevation knob and then it's easy to get lost. I did make a zero stop for it so I can find my zero again. Other than that, it's a good scope for the money.

I've got the 6-18 on a Savage 93R17. For the money it can't be beat and although the 1/8 adjustment are a pain I don't shoot out past 350yds. so 1 revolution does me fine. I guess it depends on what you put it on and how far you want to go with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.