Nightforce

adam p

I am in the process of building a 300 RUM. I would really like to put some high quality glass on it. I can't seem to find many places that sale Nightforce scopes. Can someone point me in the right direction? I am also open to suggestions on a different scope. $1500 is alot to spend on something I have never looked at in person.

You might want to try some different scopes before you make that much of a plunge. I used my shooting partner's 12-42 Nightforce on several occasions last year, and I never saw an instance where that scope lived up to its cost.

I had considered a 1000+ dollar scope for my project rifle at the time, but have decided that the law of diminishing returns is definitely alive and well with regard to riflescopes.

To each his own, but if you buy the NF before trying it, you'll have a lot more trouble being honest with yourself as to whether it's that good or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

The glass is some better on a night force in my opinion and a night force is a tough as hell scope. Not that burris,leupold or other scopes aren't good. If you are going to be putting it on a hard kicking round then I would go with a night force. I helped my awesome dad build a shop for night force. We got the scopes at a discount so I came to have a night force for my first rifle scope. Me being the not so agile person I am this poor scope has went through hell and back, round trip a few times. I have seen some of the tests he does in his shop and the night forces are a way tougher scope than leupolds, swaro, burris or any other scope he would put on the test machine. This machine would test how well the scope could take an impact. He would hardly tap the other brands and you could see them move. He then took an velvet covered mallet and beat the sh!t out of it and it still wouldn't move. This has been my expierence with them. Dont get me wrong the other scopes will shoot good to but when it comes to sheer endurance the night force takes the cake. Use night force rings, bases, and scope and you wont be disappointed in them. It will be heavy though.

Yeah a 12-42 power anything isnt going to yeild very clear images, whether its a NF or another scope. 22 power max and you will see why they are worth the $$. I can see 30 cal bullet hole in white targets at 600 yards through a 22x NF with good light.

A solid second choice is the original Mark 4's by leupold. The only draw back is they cost as much as an NF and you get more scope in a NF. A 3rd choice is the new mark 4 variables.

I do agree that the NF doubles as a great spotting scope. The afformentioned 12-42 BR model beat the pants off my 400 dollar Cabelas spotting scope at spotting shots on the target. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If they were priced somewhere this side of 1000 dollars, they would tease me a bit more than they do--and I might even get interested in one. In the end, though, for a scope which costs about four times what a Weaver Grand Slam does, and acquits itself somewhere less than twice as good, I'll continue to get along with a "lesser" scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

I am really looking to shoot a 1000 yards plus so I would like to have at least 20x. I just can't seem to find a scope other than Nightforce that has all the features I want. I would like to have illuminated reticle that isn't mil-dot,side focus and a 30mm tube. Seems like all the Leupolds I have found with illuminated reticle are mil-dot. If anybody can think of any other scopes please let me know. If I can find something else that has what I am looking for I would definetly consider buying it instead.

Have you looked at the IOR scopes? They can be had in with the features you want, with some excellent quality glass.

I have one IOR and 4 NXS's. These eventually replaced 3 MK IV's, 2 old style and 1 new style. I have been happier with the nightforce glass and reticles. I find them to resolve mirage a bit better for me, YMMV.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.