nightforce

Question about NF optics. Still very new to long range so this may very well be a stupid question. They have all there different series, SHV, NX8, ATACR, etc. I'm curious about the actual optics/glass, which if any series share the same glass? Or is each step up a step up in optical quality?

Question about NF optics. Still very new to long range so this may very well be a stupid question. They have all there different series, SHV, NX8, ATACR, etc. I'm curious about the actual optics/glass, which if any series share the same glass? Or is each step up a step up in optical quality?

I don't know the answer to your question but from my limited experience I would rate the NF glass from least to best as SHV - NX8 - NXS - ATACR.

That is a very good question I own an NXS an ATACR but do not know the answer to your question so I will be following this thread

During a conversation with a NF Customer Service rep I was told that the SHV 5-20 X 56mm shares the exact same glass as the NXS line of scopes. If I recall correctly, I think he said that all SHVs have the same glass as the NXS scopes. I would consider my SHV 5-20 X 56 as 'good glass' but surely not 'elite glass'. To my eyes, my SHV has a little better image than the Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 X 50mm that I used to have, for what its worth. My 2 SHVs have not disappointed at all; good glass and very reliable dialing and return to zero.

SHV 5-20 has been fantastic on a RUM. I love my ATACR on the other RUM though. Both work great. Built one for long range so I went with the ATACR 5-25. Hunting purposes the SHV does just fine.

Congrats on your purchase. NXS scopes are great and will last several life times. I almost thought about purchasing a nx8 but the reviews swayed me in the opposite direction. I wish they still made the NXS f1 models.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.