Nightforce vs Leupold

luisescudero

Pards , I really need your unbiased opinion since I get one shot and one shot only.
I would like to buy a scope that can reach about 800 yds. and I have saved enough to buy one but I need your opinion on which way to go. I would like to decide on a NF 5-25×56 ATACR or a Leupold VX-6 4-24x52mm or something in that range.
before hand I appreciate all your help.

Not even a close comparison on this one the ATACR is the animal. the VX6 is a closer comparison to an NXS but I still think the NF wins the turrets are much better.

Well, I'd have to agree with dragman. Comparing those two scopes is, IMO, like comparing high quality hamburger to rib steak. Most of my scopes are Leupold; I also have a Zeiss. But only because I need more than one scope and can't buy as many as I need or want if I buy them from NightForce.

Thanks,
seems that the Leupold would be more simple to use since the company gives you a dedicated bullet trajectory turret.... inexperience talking here.

I have several guns with all kinds of caliber but the highest magnification that I have is 3-10. now granted I have several elk at 300 -400 yds but recently I bought another gun that can reach out to 800 yds therefore the need for another scope.

I have budgeted enough for either one. and your opinion is valuable to me.

I have been using the ATACR since it became available. Been involved setting up many. They are truly awesome long range scopes. I dial in MOA, so the turret thing is a non issue to me. But I am sure someone offers a turret in yards for the Nighforce scopes. For only 800 yards the ATACR could be a bit overkill, the NXS would serve you well and could be viewed as a good match for your needs. But here is my thinking, if you want a scope that will serve you well, has awesome glass even in morning and evening light, and a scope you will be a very long time growing out of or wanting more no matter what rifle you upgrade to. The ATACR is the way to go.

Let me be clear, although I have used many Leupolds including some Mark 4's , I have never personally tested the VX6

Jeff

Thanks,
seems that the Leupold would be more simple to use since the company gives you a dedicated bullet trajectory turret.

You should be aware that when you make a selection for a customized turret product you are stuck with the load that the turret is designed for. If you change ammunition your custom turrets are of less value (I avoided saying worthless) without some serious ballistics analysis.
IMO it's better to buy a good MOA scope (with reticle of choice) and work up a dope sheet for the load you intend to use.

I have a few Leupolds, ranging from the VX1-Mark 4. The most recent is the V6 2-12. Most are on a rifle for specific situations.

My ATACR is set up on what I consider a dedicated long range rifle. None of my Leupold's compare with it. Nice scopes in their niche, but if you're truly looking at long range hunting, and shooting the ATACR wins hands down.

You really don't say anything about the rifle you intend to use it on, or the hunts you'd make, or type of matches you would like to participate in.

If your intention is a general use rifle with the option of a little more magnification the Leupold will likely work fine. Personally I prefer the TMR Illuminated Reticle with the side focus.

Leupold is 24 ounces, the ATACR 38, and with mounts enough to hold it, it will end up a full pound heavier.

Some very good advice in the posts above, given by folks who advised me to get an ATACR when I was shopping scopes. Advice I'm glad I took, it has not disappointed me for even micro-second, it's been a genuine step above any rifle scope I've ever used.

I truly appreciate your reply.
I have been hunting all my life but since I quit one of my jobs now I have more time to hunt and go to the range. For close distances I have leupold on my 204, 270, 7-08 and 300WSM. but recently I bought a Browning 300 WSM with a 26in barrel that i would like to use this winter for elk and ibex here in NM. Most of the time I am close enough for my regular rifle but I have seen some good bulls in the other side of the canyons that I would like to touch.
Having said that I bought this gun, and plan for good optics, hoping to grow in knowledge and experience in long distance shooting.

The closest comparison I can give you is the new VX6 7-42X56 with the 34mm tube VS an 8-32X56 NXS.
I have both, and while the Leupold might have a slight edge on glass up high in the power range on the nxs because of the 34MM tube I don't see it really. the turrets of the NXS make it my choice. Those two scopes are a close comparison though IMHO.

Thanks sir, that was well put. BLUF, do you recomend that I just go and invest on the ATACR or pick one of the other two you mention and grow in to a more mature glass.

I am doing load work for a guy and his rifle has a 4-24 vx6 on it, I had owned mk4s and Nxs, also a friend has the atacr. For a hunting scope my pick is the NXS by far. Good glass, great controls and reliability. For extreme range I would get the Atacr. I used to be a big Leupold fan, it just seems like they sat on their laurels too long and are behind the times. Too bad really.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.