Nightforce vs Leupold

I remember my SS 3-9 being a pretty bright scope but honestly I didn't own it all that long. Is the glass in the HD better than the glass in the 3-9's?

In any event I decided that FFP scopes weren't for me, especially with a 3-9. If FFP scopes are your thing then yes, the SWFA 5-20's are for sure the best bang for your buck.

Oh and there was that fact that after I zeroed my SWFA I could never get the elevation turret to align with the rev counter mark. I tried tapping on the turret a few times and even tried sighting it at 200 instead of 100 yards..... it never lined up perfect.

That was on the SWFA 3-9 though so I wasn't too upset.

Totally diff animal.
In this evaluation JonA compares it to the best! Not just NF's Few people know optics better. Anyway if someone wants to spend 400 bux more for a lesser scope buy the NF. I am building the ultimate LR shooting weapon and after months of research I chose the SS. Anyway get what you like. I did.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swfa-super-sniper-5-20x50hd-72157/

Totally diff animal.
In this evaluation JonA compares it to the best! Not just NF's Few people know optics better. Anyway if someone wants to spend 400 bux more for a lesser scope buy the NF. I am building the ultimate LR shooting weapon and after months of research I chose the SS. Anyway get what you like. I did.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swfa-super-sniper-5-20x50hd-72157/

Hey if the HD has better glass then I'm with you. I guess the biggest thing would be whether or not you want a FFP scope.

Back to the topic at hand: We all seem to favor NF over Leupold. gun)

Leupold are very good scope and I use a lot of them myself. I really like the Mark 4 M5 and the NEW M6 and M8 coming to market look very, very promising. With this said it is very hard to beat a Nightforce, they are one of the most solid and reliable scope we sell. I have seen more and more shooters come back to Nightforce after using a lot of other high-end rifle scopes.

Mike @ CST
www.cstactical.com

Mike,

I'll keep an eye on the YT channel for a review on the new Leupolds. My big gripe with Leupold's new stuff has been that they don't offer 1/10th mil adjustments/reticles in SFP.... unless I'm missing something.

For the most part the Leupold will do the job, the Nightforce will do the job a little better.

Mike @ CST

I have a few of both. I use the NF on my heavy barrel LR rigs where weight is not a critical factor. If the rifle has to be carried to any extent, I prefer the Leupold or Huskemaw. The NF is bulky and heavy compared to the other two. All have excellent optics quality and tracking performance.

I am currently having a Lazzeroni built in the 7.82 Warbird and am really struggling with choosing a scope. Considering that I recently purchased a CZ550 and a
Remington Sendero in 300RUM which I having rebarreled for .338 RUM, my toy account balance is beginning to look a little thin. I would love to put a Nightforce on it, but for all the features I want, I would be looking at the $2000 mark. Does anyone have any suggestions for a scope for this rifle that I could get for around the $1000 mark? I have six Leupold variables on various rifles, and frankly, I am not as high on them as I used to be. All of them tend to get a little dim as the magnification goes up. I have two Meoptas that I really like, but their mildots are so big that at 200 yards, they will completely cover a deer. I want a variable in at least the 4-16 range, a little bigger would be better, a 30 mm tube, mildots or the equivalent, a 50mm objective with side focus, adjustment rinigs that snap solidly into place so I know how many clicks I have moved, and whatever else makes a good scope. Does anyone have any experience with Vortex scopes? They have one, the Viper PST with everything I want for $950, but I have never owned one, and don't know anyone who has. I have looked at them at sportsman shows, and the optics are very impressive and they look and feel solid, but I have no idea how durable they are and if they will stand up to the recoil of the Warbird. I have a Sako in the Warbird cartridge, and I have one of the Bushnell 6500 series scopes on it, and so far, so good, but I don't know how long "so far, so good" will last. I have several other cheaper Bushnell scopes on some way less powerful rifles because you just can't put $1000 scopes on everything, and they have performed very well, but after spending the $7000 on the Lazzeroni, I would like to at least put a quality scope on it. I would appreciate any input about anything, especially about the Vortex. Thanks much for any ideas.

I have a few of both. I use the NF on my heavy barrel LR rigs where weight is not a critical factor. If the rifle has to be carried to any extent, I prefer the Leupold or Huskemaw. The NF is bulky and heavy compared to the other two. All have excellent optics quality and tracking performance.

That is a good way of putting it. If your looking for a lighter the Leupold would be a great way to go.

Mike @ CST

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts