Nightforce vs Huskemaw or something else in that price range??

Cutter1 responds with the correct old adage...Buy once, cry (because of the price) once. I own a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5 x 27 x 56. SFP.
I purchased this scope 3 years ago for $2500 from I believe Optics Planet. I asked for a discount and they were kind enough to give me one. Nonetheless, I love this glass. It reaches out to 1000 (with my eyes). It tracks exceptionally well and has a zero stop. Besides me loving it, there are some very good shooters at my range and all seem to be very impressed with the scope. So much in fact, that they too have gone and purchased one for themselves.
Good luck and do extensive research.

Got to sign in with a vote for March. I use Leopold and S&B as well, but the March, at 3-25x42 ffp, is so clear, quick and compact that it is my scope of choice to carry towards targets at 300 yds and beyond.

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I`m thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?
I have not talked to anyone in my area of WA. who have had a negative experience With Vortex Gun stores seem to be filling the shelf with them Night Force is a great scope just more money Will give you tighter group?

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I`m thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?

I must be lucky too (if I believed in it) as all six of my current Razor AMGs have been flawless and all are on LR hunting rifles. What's important to you? Lowlight? Weight? Tube size? Reticle?

I'm very disappointed in NF. Twice I was at Camp Perry shooting the 100 yd scope match and had the cimble jump on me. I called my shots at 10 oclock x and the bullet hit at 5 oclock 7. The coach told me to send a second round and call my shot. I sent the round and called it a center X. The bullet shot out the spotter at 5 oclock 7. We send the scope back to NF and they said nothing was wrong with the scope. The next year the scope did the same thing! So I'll never shoot another NF scope. The rifle was a 300 Win Mag.

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I'm thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?

I have three Vortex, different models as the scopes are on different long guns used for different purposes. All do their job as expected, as paid for.
I have one which I use out to 1/2 mile, always consistent with avocado size groups, if I do my job on reloads, proper shooting habits and stance.
I would definitely like to have a more expensive scope with greater ability, but would I use it or would it be a trophy wife?
When my skills improve, and I wear out my long gun then I might get a nicer scope to fit on my new baby.

If your optics do or exceed what you need why replace them?

VORTEX'S ARE GREAT, I HAVE 6 (2 RAZORS), (4 Vipers) THEY ARE MY 2ND. OVERALL FAVORITES. BUT IF YOU WANT TO BE PLEASANTLY SUPRISED TRY OUT THE SWFA SS. 5-20×50HD, EITHER NON OR ILLUMINATED VERSIONS, I HAVE TWO OF THE NON-ILLUMINATED AND TO ME THEY ARE MY #1 FAVORITES, I ALSO HAVE 2 SWAROVSKI'S, 3 ZEISS, 2 MINOXS, 1 DOCTER OPTIC, 3 LEUPOLDS, 12 BURRIS'S, 3 SHEPARDS, 2 NIKONS, IVE CHECKED OUT THE S&B'S , AND THE NF'S, BUT NONE OF THEM DELIGHT MY EYES LIKE THOSE TWO.

Last edited:
I spent 4 years working with a shop that did load development and click data with Huskemaw scopes. We also did Vortex and Nightforce. Huskemaw has a great reticle and their turret system is user friendly. BUT we had numerous that would not hold a zero. Sitting a Nightforce next to it on the bench and comparing glass was not even in the same class. NF glass is far superior (Clearer) great zero stop and never had a fail. Needless to say after getting to shoot and work with so many different pieces of glass i went with Nightforce. Expensive? yes but in my opinion buy it once and be done. I have an ATACR and two NXS now and have never regretted buying them. They are heavy but built to take a beating. I also have a few pieces of Vortex glass and they are great for their price point. I no longer own a Huskemaw. This is just my opinion.

I've got and used both night force and vortex scopes, my night force 5.5x22x50 I use on my long range I've got time rifles, great for tgt shooting, vortex is good also never really had a problem with either, but if you hunt coyotes at long range I've gone to the shepherd brs 4x16 scope yes those circles work for very fast ranging and 99% of coyotes I shoot dont stand there and wait for you to dope up your scope. Bad thing is you got to match your round to a specific scope but Shepherd also makes a brs mil dot around 500 and I think a moa for around 800 and both are ffp. Alot of people are going to say bad things about them but I personally have experience with most name brand scopes and they are as good and in some cases better. And the good thing is you can call them and somebody answers the phone. You cant beat that. I will also state that when you play with turret knobs eventually they will go out of adj and that's all scopes, it may take years but it's going to happen. Buy what makes you happy there all pretty good most have real good warranties so you pretty much have to dive in and decide for yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.