Nightforce vs Huskemaw or something else in that price range??

I own a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, Vortex PST 6-24x50, PST Gen II 3-15x44, & Huskemaw 4-16x42. All very nice scopes for sure however the Gen II has way better glass & turrets compared to the Gen I PST. The nightforce is also very nice & very good glass as well & doesnt even compare to the other 2 scopes. However i like thin reticles & reticles with the hashmarks on it & the huskemaw does not have either of those. The Huskemaw does still have some hashmarks in the 4-16 scope but only in 2 moa increments. So in my opinion i prefer my Vortex scopes over the huskemaw that is just my 2 cents on these scopes.

I bought a Huskemaw 5-20 when they first came out and absolutely thought it was great. I believe they're built in the same Japanese facility as Nightforce. I sold it to one of my coworkers and it's one of those many things I've sold that I wish I hadn't. I currently am a big fan of Tract but their higher power scopes are FFP as are the higher power Athlon BTR and if you're going to spend that much for a new Athlon, I would try to find a used Swarovski, S&B or Kahles for fairly close to that amount but you won't get any of those $1,000.00

I have one Nightforce ATACR, and a bunch of Vortex scopes, including 1 crossfire 2, a Razor HDLH, and a bunch of PSTs gen one and gen 2. I also have a bunch of friends with a bunch of vortex scopes of similar type, including razors. It is completely ridiculous to thi k tgat Vortex scopes have anymore issues than any other brand discussed here. I am not attempting to take anything away from the NF, or any other premium scope, they are awesome, but you would be making a mistake to overlook Vortex based on a trend of them having issues.

I like my Nightforce(s). Especially out in the 800-1000 yd range. I find the range, put the data into the handy iphone ballistic calculator (Bullet Flight), double check to make sure ALL parameters are input (like angle), dial it up, shoot, smile. I can't compare them to anything other than Leupold's best effort and that's not fair (the Leupold works pretty well on my .22 though :) ) I don't have to carry a spotting scope with the NXS. I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag (Sendero with some tweaks), Defensive Edge .338 (Canyon rifle package), .20 Beggs built by Defensive Edge, and a Remington TAC in .308.

I received a Fathers day sale email this morning with Vortex viper gen 2 5-25x50 so cheap I don't think I can`t pass another one up?? Out of 7 rifles with Vortex scopes I personally have had zero issues?

I love my burris period , shooting .5 moa at 600yards. Returns to zero everytime,i dont need a high dollar scope

The new nightforce NX8's will be getting a look from me, they look pretty amazing. I've never had a vortex so can't comment on them, but those recommending burris as an alternative to nightforce are off base. I just got back from a prairie dog hunt and promptly removed my burris veracity 5-25 from one rifle, I'm sick of the crap glass in it. Worst glass I've ever seen in a supposedly good scope. It got replaced with a sightron SIII 6-24 which is a breath of fresh air compared to the burris. I've got several SIII's, their glass is great and they track perfectly. They lack some features like zero stops and illuminated reticles but on a PD rifle I don't care, they do exactly what I need them to. The nightforce NSX 8-32 was of course rock solid on my 6BR, it accounted for it's share of prairie dogs.

Is there still new gen 1 Huskemaw out there, what`s different about them than the gen2??
I should of mentioned I want SFP & moa.
There was a guy on here had for sale for 650.00, if I hadn't bought a NF a couple months ago I would be all over it. What I like about my Huskema is the reticle is not busy and the yardage turret

You didn't say if for hunting or just punching paper/ringing steel? If target, Nightforce and Huskemaw, if for Hunting Swarovski, Zeiss and Schmidt and Bender are the "weigh" to go.
Amen to that, plus get Horus Vision in which ever one he gets. With it I can be sending Mr.Berger across the way while you still screwing the turrets up down or sideways

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts