Nightforce SHV

mrb1982

I currently shoot a 6.5-20 Leupold VX-3. I do really like the scope. I am kinda wanting to get something with an MOA reticle though. Curious what people really think of the new SHV from Nightforce? I am thinking the 5-20 would be nice. Just kinda curious how they compare to the Leupold's. I could probably send my VX-3 in to have their new reticle put in it, but I was just wandering around and saw the NF. If anybody can offer any opinion, specifically with the turret quality, that would be great. If either had zero stop it would be a no brainer! This will be for hunting only. Thanks.

I have done quite a few searches and found some reviews and stuff on them. Just curious if maybe someone who has shot both kinds of scope or anything like that, if they have a preference or anything.

Thanks. Was wondering how it compared to the vx-3's. Kinda want to try on. I really like the target dot but the MOA reticles are nice for those times when you don't have ample time to get organized. Hmmmmm mm. So many decisions

Yeah i have checked into it and might be doing that. Only thing holding me back is I would lose my dot that I like. So many choices. I really like this leupold but really wish I had something with zero stop. Should probably just save up for an nxs. Lol

MRB

You can make a zero stop for that lueppy by just taking a trip to the hardware store for some washers, rubber, plastic or metal will work. :D

I had the Leupold reticle put into my Mark 4s and a VX3. I love them. I sent my scopes in and had them back in eight days with a new reticle and a clean bill of health. One Mark 4 is a 6.5-20, the other is a 4.5-14 and the VX3 is a 4.5-14 LR. They are the most useful reticles I've used. Having the numbered lines and windage dots is far better than standard moa reticles for wind holds. I've practiced with dialing and reticle compensation a bunch with these reticles and I don't feel like I'm giving up any precision by using the reticle instead of dialing.

Had the opportunity to look at the 4-15x version of the SHV today. Sure impressed with the glass at the top end. The only problem I had with it is the turrets were kinda funny. The only word I could describe with is "rough." They are good and cris but just seemed kinda d of rough.

Would the 15x max be enough for 1000 yards or would it be better to go to the 20x?

I have the 4-14x56 SHV and it is awesome. Very clear and gathers alot of light. It has the IHR reticle. Easy and fast target acquisition.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.