Nightforce SHV experiences

megastink

Hey all! I'm looking at buying a Nightforce SHV and I wanted to hear some folk's experience with it. I'm curious about the way the turrets feel, if you've ever had one lose zero or if anything has ever gone awry. Here in Northeast Pa, a 300 yard shot is hard to come by, so their 4-14x would fit my needs well.

I've wanted an NXS for years, but if these SHVs love up to the NF name, I might pick one up. I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks!

I ended up getting a used NXS for about the same price as the SHV new. Just throwing that out there. I figured if I didnt like it I can sell for close to what I spent but I plan on keeping it.

I have had one for a year now,5-20 SHV with lighted reticle. I have it on a 300 RUM that has been shot alot. I dial for yardage and have not had a problem with it. I really like the scope, it would be nice to have the high speed turrets but no big deal. It is an awesome scope in my opinion.

Thanks, David

I've got 3 SHVs. The one I use the most is a 5-25 on a my R700 in .308. So far, it has worked extremely well for me.

Right now, I use it primarily as my night time hog hunting rig. I've got a McCann Industries MIRS mount with an Armasight clip on night vision unit. It gets bumped around and has not lost zero yet. I hunt in 5 different spots, so I'm constantly getting in and out of a truck, and walking to and from shooting positions. I am not gentle on things, so if it will hold up for me, it should do well for you.

The turrents do not feel as crisp as my NF NSX scopes, but the functionality thus far has been perfect. I have had no loss of zero since I've been using it.

I have zero complaints on the units, and can recommend them for use.

I put one on my Savage .338LM a while back. I've only put 30 rounds through it with the SHV on it, but I've had no problems with that unit.

I've got 3 SHVs. The one I use the most is a 5-25 on a my R700 in .308. So far, it has worked extremely well for me.

Right now, I use it primarily as my night time hog hunting rig. I've got a McCann Industries MIRS mount with an Armasight clip on night vision unit. It gets bumped around and has not lost zero yet. I hunt in 5 different spots, so I'm constantly getting in and out of a truck, and walking to and from shooting positions. I am not gentle on things, so if it will hold up for me, it should do well for you.

The turrents do not feel as crisp as my NF NSX scopes, but the functionality thus far has been perfect. I have had no loss of zero since I've been using it.

I have zero complaints on the units, and can recommend them for use.

I put one on my Savage .338LM a while back. I've only put 30 rounds through it with the SHV on it, but I've had no problems with that unit.

Thank you! That's the info I was looking for.

I hope I can jump in with a question without hijacking the original question but I feel my question is very similar. How do the non-ZS/non-HS older NXS's compare to the SHV?

I'm torn between buying a non-ZS/non-HS NXS or a SHV.

I hope I can jump in with a question without hijacking the original question but I feel my question is very similar. How do the non-ZS/non-HS older NXS's compare to the SHV?

I'm torn between buying a non-ZS/non-HS NXS or a SHV.

I've got a number of the non-ZS scopes. I'm main interest is durability in a rifle scope. The NSX scopes are the ultimate scope for that as far as I'm concerned.If they were good enough for Chris Kyle, I think they will be good enough for me. I've not had any issue with any of my NF scopes. If money is not an issue, I'd go with the illuminated ATACR. It is a tremendous scope.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SHV line. The SHV line was created for hunting and not intended to see combat, which explains the pricing differences between it and the NSX line. I don't think you can go wrong with either line.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts