Nightforce or Huskenaw?

JMshooter

I'm going to get a scope for my .264 win mag ASAP, this will be my first higher end scope. All my other scopes have been Nikon Monarchs. What would you put on this gun if it was you? Nightforce 5.5-22x50NXS ZS, or Huskenaw 5-20x50. I'm going to use the gun for Antelope hunting and longrange steel shooting(out to 700-1000yds)
Thanks in advanced

Nightforce is out of my budget. I have shot with the Huskemaw, and the turret system is fantastic, the glass quality very good. However, what I have on my rifles are Vortex Vipers. The cost is less, I can't tell any real difference in image quality, and Kenton Industries will make you a custom turret engraved however you want it set up. Might want to have look before shelling out the money...

I own both scopes your considering. As to which one really depends on what you will be doing with it most of the time. In side by side comparison the first thing you will notice is that the Nightforce is much heavier. It's built like a tank but it comes with a price. The Huskemaw seems to be plenty tough though. As far as glass goes I've heard their glass comes from the same place. For my eyes though, the Huskemaw seems to have the edge in clarity. Both scopes have tracked perfectly but the Huskemaw has 1/3 min moa adj. and the Nightforce has the more common 1/4 moa adj. You'll have a choice in reticles with the Nightforce, but I do like the Hunt Smart reticle in the Huskemaw. My advice, if you are going to be mostly hunting with it I would go Huskemaw, if you are mostly going to be shooting targets I would go with the Nightforce. You really can't wrong with either one.

All the scopes mentioned here so far have some form of zero stop. NightForce has a very sophisticated clutch mechanism that is fantastic. Huskemaw has a ring on the turret tower that screws up against the bottom of the turret cap (like the lock ring on a reloading die). Both of them can be set precisely to your base zero range, or a few clicks low whichever you prefer (my zero for hunting is 200 yards, but I want to be able to dial down to 100 if I decide I want to thread a needle). The Vortex system is not quite as fancy, but still satisfies the need: the stem of the elevation turret has a groove machined into it, into which you insert as many shims (they come with the scope) as it takes to fill the space after you have zeroed the rig. All this is concealed under the turret cap, and the end result is that you will only be able to go a partial turn below your zero setting. If you get lost in your dialing, just turn down until it stops then come up to your zero. It works just fine on all 4 of mine.

I also own multiples of both. Either one will satisfy your needs. The hunt smart reticle is easier to learn to use and will shorten your learning curve on reading wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.