Nightforce or Zeiss

Nightforce or Zeiss?

• Nightforce

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • Zeiss

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
I have a Zeiss V4 4-16x50 and it's been fine so far for steel out to 500, four deer and an elk but will be upgrading to an NXS when I find the right deal. Been seeing enough issues with others that I don't want to chance it when I'm traveling to hunt. If you can hold out for an NXS used or an SHV, that's what I would do. I never hear of issues with them. Just my opinion. If I'd have seen the issues before buying the Zeiss I'd have saved the extra money.

I have Zeiss V6; its optics are superior to the V4. Also, have an SHV; its optics is excellent but a step down from the V6. I also have a Nightforce ATACR, equivalent to the V6 but with a larger picture cause of the 34 mm tube and 56mm Objective.

Good news fellas. The Zeiss took a dump. Decided to give a Leupold VX5 3-15 a try. We'll see how she does and I'm glad to send the Zeiss packin down the road. That scope left almost everything to be desired

NightForce are as tough and reliable as a Stone Axe. Everything works like it should. Their only drawback is weight. The glass on their newer high end models is getting to be as good as Zeiss and SWaro.

NightForce are as tough and reliable as a Stone Axe. Everything works like it should. Their only drawback is weight. The glass on their newer high end models is getting to be as good as Zeiss and SWaro.
I was gonna get the SHV 5-20 but my wife wanted me to stay as cheap as possible. The VX5 was $200 cheaper, 10 oz lighter, has zero stop and 25 moa per rev. Hopefully it was a smart trade off

I was gonna get the SHV 5-20 but my wife wanted me to stay as cheap as possible. The VX5 was $200 cheaper, 10 oz lighter, has zero stop and 25 moa per rev. Hopefully it was a smart trade off
Never owned a VX5 so will be very interested to hear what you think when you report back. I have a few VX3 HD 4.5x14x40 with the Boone and Crocket reticle on hunting rifles thatI am very happy with. Good glass, light and I don't dial twist when hunting under 600 yards so work good for the application I use them in. Good thing is Leupold is very popular and easy to resell for what you paid or close, if you decide to go to the NightForce after all. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

I have several hundred round with my 6-24 V4 on the 30-28 nosler. Zero issues and the glass is amazing for the price point. Much lighter than the SHV. Zero stop is simple.

If image quality is bad in a V4 your not doing something right. Things go bad in manufacturing. I understand that. Not all light conditions are good even with the best glass on the market. I can't say I've ever missed a shot because the glass wasn't good enough.

I have several hundred round with my 6-24 V4 on the 30-28 nosler. Zero issues and the glass is amazing for the price point. Much lighter than the SHV. Zero stop is simple.

If image quality is bad in a V4 your not doing something right. Things go bad in manufacturing. I understand that. Not all light conditions are good even with the best glass on the market. I can't say I've ever missed a shot because the glass wasn't good enough.
At 300 yards the optical quality was on par with my $200 Vortex Crossfire. For me that's unacceptable for a $1,200 optic. And it used to be crystal clear. Over the months it degraded to pure trash. Don't know what caused it. Gave Zeiss and chance and don't believe I'll give another

At 300 yards the optical quality was on par with my $200 Vortex Crossfire. For me that's unacceptable for a $1,200 optic. And it used to be crystal clear. Over the months it degraded to pure trash. Don't know what caused it. Gave Zeiss and chance and don't believe I'll give another
Send it to Zeiss and get it fixed. Obviously something delaminated or came apart. Even the best scopes can have issues. Zeiss has great customer service. It will also be a lot easier to sell it once it is fixed.

Send it to Zeiss and get it fixed. Obviously something delaminated or came apart. Even the best scopes can have issues. Zeiss has great customer service. It will also be a lot easier to sell it once it is fixed.
I traded it in on a Leupold VX5 yesterday. Much happier with the Leupold right off the bat. The eye box is much more forgiving and the glass is amazingly clear. I'm sure I just got a lemon but I've given optic companies enough second chances *cough* Vortex *cough*

I love both of them. I have multiples of both. Which every you decide on I think you will be happy with the decision

Then you got a problem unit and should send it back to Zeiss and have them fix it. I chose the zeiss bacause the SHV had tracking issues at the time.