Nightforce or Zeiss?

• Nightforce

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • Zeiss

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

MTbackwoods

LRH Sponsor
I'm looking at getting either a Nightforce SHV 5-20 or a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24. I had a 4-14 SHV a while ago and loved it. No experience with Zeiss though

What's the application?
Nearest and furthest shots?
Hunting and banging steel. Have no intention of ever shooting game beyond 800 yards and usually only shoot steel out to 1,000. Nearest shots on game could be anything, as we all know. Practically, 100-200 yards is usually all the closer I tend to get

Hunting and banging steel. Have no intention of ever shooting game beyond 800 yards and usually only shoot steel out to 1,000. Nearest shots on game could be anything, as we all know. Practically, 100-200 yards is usually all the closer I tend to get
Why not go back to the 4-14 SHV that you loved?

IMO, you don't want to go higher than 4x on the low end as FOV for close shots is important. How about the Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44i - L-Ballistic BDC MOA #50211?
  • Simple & Uncluttered Reticle
  • 2nd Focal Plane Reticle
  • 10-Level Center Red Aiming Dot
  • 30mm tube
  • 1/4 MOA / Click Impact Point Correction
  • 79 MOA Windage & Elevation Adjustment
  • Exposed Finger-Adjustable Turrets
  • Anodized 6061 Aluminum Housing
  • Hydrophobic AquaDura Lens Coating
  • Nitrogen Filled, Fog & Waterproof

I'm looking at getting either a Nightforce SHV 5-20 or a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24. I had a 4-14 SHV a while ago and loved it. No experience with Zeiss though
Zeiss hasn't been great for me, my v4 lost zero and didn't track after a few hundred rounds over a 300.
Also the glass is probably about the same as the SHV, ok but pretty poor at high magnification and low light.
I'm really impressed with my Trijicon Credo, it rivals $2500 scopes in my opinion, and their tracking/durability record is impressive.
Check out that and the Tenmile line

Well I just went ahead with the Zeiss. We'll see how it does. Luckily the dealer will swap it out down the road if I have issues

I have the Ziess v4 6-24 on my top three rifles now, love them, Redhawk rifles has a demo. sale on them occasionlly, 900$ +-. cant beat them for the price, return zero is spot on, crystal clear, I chose the simple cross hairs, no clutter, no ellumination.

IMO stay away from Conquest. I had Conquest and was happy when I got rid of it. Several friends got them and all exchanged them for something else. Zeiss is one class and top class but Conquest is not the Zeiss that you're expecting to get.

I may have made a mistake. The eye relief on this Zeiss is very unforgiving. Even at mid magnification ranges it is very finicky to maintain a clear sight picture. More so when shooting with both eyes open, which is how I shoot. May see about returning it and getting a VX5 HD or just getting the SHV

I may have made a mistake. The eye relief on this Zeiss is very unforgiving. Even at mid magnification ranges it is very finicky to maintain a clear sight picture. More so when shooting with both eyes open, which is how I shoot. May see about returning it and getting a VX5 HD or just getting the SHV

Go with the VX5HD. I've had all three of the scopes you've talked about.

I definitely like the glass better on the vx5hd but I wouldn't recommend one for a long range hunting rifle. I had one fail to track, I bought another last year and it's been solid so far but I definitely don't trust it..
How about the LRHS2?