Nightforce 3.5-15 or 5-22X 50

canine

Hi guys,
I am getting ready to put a new Nightforce NXS W/ NP R2 reticle on a 300 WSM. Mainly use for longrange target and hunting large open fields. I was wondering if it would be ok to stick with the 3.5-15 or should I go ahead and get the 5-22X 50. What do you guys recommend for LRH.
Thanks

I have the 5.5-22x50 with the NP-R1 on my 338 Edge, and I love it. For the relatively small difference in cost I would go with the 5.5-22x50.

I just switched from a Leupy VX3 4.5-14 to the NXS 5.5-22 and the difference in shooting at distances up to 1K is amazing. Go with the 5.5-22 and don't look back. Their a little bigger, but unless you're doing a lot of hiking it won't matter.

I use them both and find the 3.5-15x50 my favorite field scope for hunting and long range. The 5.5-22 is superb, particularly with the larger 56mm lens. For some reason, purely personal, I prefer the 50mm in the 3.5-15 and the 56mm in the 5.5-22. Need slightly taller rings with the 56 if your barrel contour is pretty thick at the chamber area even with sloped bases. Not much difference in size and weight. I rarely use 22 power, leave the bigger scope on 15-16 most of the time.
Good luck with your choice and your shooting.

The glass quality is so high with the NF scopes that you could easily get by with the 3.5-15 but, my philosophy is that I can always turn the 22 down but I can't turn the 15 up any higher.;) There are a lot of times when I'll turn the 22 down to gain field of view, less boil etc. etc., but at looooong range the 22x sure can come in handy at times.

If it is a dedicated long range rig and the size won't matter then, if it was me, I'd go with the 5.5-22. I've been 100% happy with mine and wouldn't go smaller on my dedicated long range rig.

One thing to consider is that if you go with the 5.5-22 and the NP-R1 reticle, you will have the 1moa increments at 22x but if you drop it to 11x you will have the 2moa increments which is the same as the NP-R2 reticle. It's also a given that you should check this with your own scope but mine has been spot on.

Also, if it was me, even though there are several vendors around here that sell them, I check with Bill and Steve at: Link--> Shooting Supply - Buy Guns and Optics Online at our firearms store.

They're great guys with great service and prices. They have been around here a long time and a lot of the guys on LRH are 100% happy with their dealings with Bill and Steve.

Good luck with whichever you choose and let us know how it comes out.:)

I have the 3.5-15 on a .308 and it is a great scope. Be aware that they ain't small or dainty; on a stalking gun, it would not be good for balance. Also, the knobs can grab stuff while traveling through thick brush.

In my humble opinion, there is no better deal in long range rifle optics. It is no S&B, but close enough for 1/2 the price (or less.)

A lot of good responses, and based on what you said about your shooting reqirements I would go with the 5 1/2 x 22 and the only reason I can think of to go with a 56 over a 50 objective is if you plan on doing some super low light shooting. The 50 with a 30mm tube should be more than enough for most shooting. That's the one I have and I can pick out fence posts at about 50 yds on a dark cloudy night that I can not see with my naked eye. I think it's more than enough in any reasonable/legal hunting light.

Enjoy your NF

thanks for the plug SS7MM :)

as for what power scope it really is just a personal choice. before i switched to primarily NF i shot alot of 4.5-14 leup's so i knda lean toward the 3.5-15 NF. but for really long range stuff the top end power of the 5.5-22 is nice to have and the light gathering ability of the NF scopes makes either scope a viable option for any situation.

no matter which one you go with you will be more than happy with your choice.

if you get bored and wanna look at the different reticles check out our site, we have the options up on our NF page.

have a good un
steve

One other difference that hasn't been mentioned is with the NP-R1 (and I think R2), the 3.5x15 has 10more MOA of marks below the crosshair. So you can use the reticle for 30MOA hold over with the 3.5x15 and only 20 with the 5.5x22. The 15 has a larger field of view for spotting your own hits (depending on how much recoil you are dealing with)

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.