NXS 3.5-15 or 5.5 -22

TDog78

I have been pinching pennies for some time and am finally at purchasing point. I have researched until blue in the face and have come to the conclusion that the Nightforce line is what instills confidence in me and is just over my budget...:DI am going to be putting it on top of a Rem 700 30-06 that LRI is going to work on for me. This will be an everything rig for a long time from coyotes on up so I can become super familiar with it but it is really a deer and elk rig with and emphasis on elk. I have been ranging the horses and bulls in my pastures and honestly cannot see shooting much past 600 yards in a hunting scenario. I will want to build confidence and punch the gong at longer ranges but I know how much can go wrong when hunting and am becoming more conservative as I get older and feel 600 is about it. A few are telling me as much as I shoot I may outgrow the 600 pretty quick and to go with the higher power but the budget and conservative side of me is leaning towards the 3.5-15. My main concern with this is that I deal with a lot of wind where I hunt out her in Eastern CO for a good chunk of my game and being in SFP I know I will have to be at max for the wind holding on the horizontal as i am sure i will want to dial for elevation and hold for wind. Is 22 power on the high side for my ranges...how is the image and contrast on 22 in the NXS line? I am of very limited means and cannot really afford to make a big mistake here for time or money. What ya think.

For hunting I like to have the lower magnification available. Personally I will limit my shots on big game to 550 yds so that's close to what you're thinking.

My previous long range scope went up to 18x and I was hitting steel out at 1000 yds.

I agree about Nightforce NSX being somthing you can depend on

For hunting I like to have the lower magnification available. Personally I will limit my shots on big game to 550 yds so that's close to what you're thinking.

My previous long range scope went up to 18x and I was hitting steel out at 1000 yds.

I agree about Nightforce NSX being somthing you can depend on
If you want to spend less and get about the same performance get at shv 5-20. Mine is flawless and the 5-20 has a zero set , not a zero stop but mine works awesome. And I have dialled mine a lot. The shv is a hell of bang for your buck.

If you want to spend less and get about the same performance get at shv 5-20. Mine is flawless and the 5-20 has a zero set , not a zero stop but mine works awesome. And I have dialled mine a lot. The shv is a hell of bang for your buck.
I have been pinching pennies for some time and am finally at purchasing point. I have researched until blue in the face and have come to the conclusion that the Nightforce line is what instills confidence in me and is just over my budget...:DI am going to be putting it on top of a Rem 700 30-06 that LRI is going to work on for me. This will be an everything rig for a long time from coyotes on up so I can become super familiar with it but it is really a deer and elk rig with and emphasis on elk. I have been ranging the horses and bulls in my pastures and honestly cannot see shooting much past 600 yards in a hunting scenario. I will want to build confidence and punch the gong at longer ranges but I know how much can go wrong when hunting and am becoming more conservative as I get older and feel 600 is about it. A few are telling me as much as I shoot I may outgrow the 600 pretty quick and to go with the higher power but the budget and conservative side of me is leaning towards the 3.5-15. My main concern with this is that I deal with a lot of wind where I hunt out her in Eastern CO for a good chunk of my game and being in SFP I know I will have to be at max for the wind holding on the horizontal as i am sure i will want to dial for elevation and hold for wind. Is 22 power on the high side for my ranges...how is the image and contrast on 22 in the NXS line? I am of very limited means and cannot really afford to make a big mistake here for time or money. What ya think.

On a side note I also have a 4-14 shv and have shot many awesome groups out to 1000 + yards. But I would prefer the 5-20 for the zero set option which is not available on the 4-14.

I think for what you have planned for the rifle the 3.5-15 would be a better choice. Or as some others have suggested the SHV line. I have the 4-14 SHV and it's a great scope.

Here is my concern...maybe you can provide relief for me here. I have looked closely at the SHV line and have not read a bad thing about them other than eye relief. Problem for me is since we are from fairly limited means my wifey will be sharing my build and eye relief gets her to no end and she ends up face humping the stock fishing around too much of the time. By the numbers the SHV 5-20 is 3.15 to 3.54 and the NXS 5-22 is 3.7. this worries me. Maybe I am making too much of a deal about this.
On a side note I also have a 4-14 shv and have shot many awesome groups out to 1000 + yards. But I would prefer the 5-20 for the zero set option which is not available on the 4-14.

I think for what you have planned for the rifle the 3.5-15 would be a better choice. Or as some others have suggested the SHV line. I have the 4-14 SHV and it's a great scope.
I would also love it if the higher mag range SHV line had an option for a 50 mm bell. Really like having my scope as low as possible. I would most likely have purchased an SHV in 5-20 if it had a 50mm objective.

15x is fine for long range. The 3.5 is nice for hunting, never know when your animal jumps out in front of you.

Chris Kyle made his 2100m shot with a 3.5-10x mark 4. If that helps reassure you that you'll have enough magnification. Besides scope clarity does more than magnification and you're looking at a quality line of scopes which makes the difference.

You have made a good choice choosing NF for your rifle.
I own a NXS 3.5~15x50 and a SHV 4~14x50F, and 16 and 25x ATACR's.
The NXS lineup is a better scope than the SHV's. Turrents are better with the NXS and the NXS's are just a tougher scope. Glass is equeal between the two. The NXS 3.5~15 is a great all around scope and is a favorite of mine on a 6.5 creedmoor.
You are from some pretty open country. With that in mind, I see why you are temped to purchase the 5~22. I dont own one but have been behind one and its a great SFP scope. My only concern with the 22x scope is if you are planning mountain hunts with this rifle. If so, I would lean towards the NXS 3.5~15.

I have had no eye relief issues with my 4-14 SHV 10lb 300 win mag 200gr eldx at 2925 with no brake. It has some pop to it.

If you have the money and original intent of purchasing the NXS, then my opinion is get the NXS. The SHV isn't a bad scope (although I wouldn't want my wife firing such a rifle with a short eye relief scope on it, especially one not fitted to her) but a NXS it is not.
Don't look at that as a snobby comment, I have an NXS but got it used off this site as I couldn't drop the money for a new one. To me a scope like this is a potential lifetime investment.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts