NIGHTFORCE NXS- 50 OR 56 MM OBJECTIVE ??

Down Under Hunter

Howdy all,

Just about to purchase a new NXS nightforce scope in 5-22 version but cant decide on objective size. I am likely to need the scope in poor light to make extended range shots, but don't know weather the improved twilight factor with the bigger lense is worth the extra bulk to the rifle ?? The retcile more than likely will be npr2. The rifle is purpose built to hit big deer at extended ranges. Am I on the right track with reticle choice ? I have Leica Geovid Binos so dont really need rangefinding reticle.

Thanks all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would go with the R2 reticle and the 56mm. I love mine.

I do a lot of coyote hunting and late season elk and deer hunting. Long hours and low light. For only approx. 1/4 inch taller, you won't be sorry in my opinion....

good luck with your decision.

Scott

Hunter,
I have them both in that model and both are superb. The fifty is somewhat smaller in bulk, yet it is extremely clear and bright. Which is better - that is a good question. Very hard to beat the 56mm, they are the original NXS design and are tough and totally reliable. If size and weight are not an issue the 56mm is probably slightly better as far as resolution goes.

The NPR-2 is a great reticle although you might also consider the NPR-1 which gives finer graduations between hash marks. Again I use them both and probably have a preference for the NPR-1 after a lot of use.

Good luck with your decision.

Also guys do any of you have the zero stop added to the scope ? If you can get it, sounds like a must have ?? Also I see Keaton Industries is doing a bdc dial for the nxs. Have any of you seen or used their dial ?

Also being new to dial up shooting, do any of you have any idea of what range the nxs will dial to on the first revolution of the turret. Assuming the gun is zeroed with 200 M. I'm thinking 700- 800 m ?? It will be on 300 rum 26 " barrel pushing 190 or 210 VLD bullets at around 3100-3200 ish ?? I am having a 30 moa tapered base fitted as well.

Thanks again

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10 MOA per revolution on the NXS turrets....... If you are not shooting past 1K 20 MOA base is plenty.......
icon_beer2.gif

If you can get the zero stop it is a great accessory. A little persnickity to set the first time but actually quite simple. There is a question when you set the zero stop, do I want to stop exactly on ZERO, which it will do every time, or do I want to give a few minutes of lee-way past zero, in case I change my load and need a slightly different zero. I go with one minute below zero as my actual stop, gives me a bit of lattitude but three or four might be a better amount. Really spoils you when you can reach inside your soft case and crank the elevation turret till it stops and you KNOW it is at your 100 yard zero without even checking.

Ian M.

What are the reasons behind Nightforce not allowing the zero stop to be issued for the general public /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ? Apparently only military and law enforcement ?

This new rifle project has ended up being a new, fully blueprinted and accurized sendero SF 1 with all the goodies installed, vaporisor muzzle break, wyatt ext, lawton tactical bolt handle etc. then a simple change to 338 edge after I shoot the 300 rum out. In the meantime it should give those big sambar deer some real grief. Can wait to get it on the range. Just trying to decide if I should put a DE checkpiece on it ?

Thanks all for your great insight.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.