Any .50 BMG or Cheytac Hunters out their?

ARM28

Hi

Is their anyone who has done and .50 BMG (or enhanced .50 BMG) or Cheytac (.408/.375/.338) Hunting?? If so can you please post your kills on this thread. If you have them can you post pics of the entrance and exit wounds??

Thank You in advance

Very Respectfully
Rob

I know there are a few that are using the 338-408 cheytac. I dont know anybody on here using the straight 408 or the fifty for hunting. Could be wrong though

The state of PA will not let me hunt with my 50, something about it being semi auto. But, I've seen pics of people who have, they mostly use Amax as they will get the job done both with external and terminal ballistics. Field and Stream ran an article earlier this year about a couple that hunt with their 50's.

I'm waiting for my bolt action fifty to get built. I really don't want to have to lug all 32lbs of it too far though.

I have hunted with 50 bmg only shot antelope between 650 and 730 yards, 750 a-max 1/2 entrance 1" exit working my my out to longer ranges but want to be confident in my ability to make shot. Have some pictures need to download from video camerea

ARM28

Here are a few pics of an Elk and Antelope taken last month in Wyoming using the 338 Snipe-Tac (338-408 imp)

The Elk was shot around 450 yds, the Antelope was over 500yds. The load was 300grn Sierra MatchKing, 3325fps.

Entrance wound was about 1", exit was 5" You can see the exit on the Antelope pic. The Elk took several steps and dropped, the heart was completely gone. Antelope just flipped and dropped. The customer said behind the exit wound of the Elk, the sage brush was red for about 20 feet, you can see it in the pic.

[email protected]

Do you have an M82? If so how does the AMAX feed?

V/R
Rob

The state of PA will not let me hunt with my 50, something about it being semi auto. But, I've seen pics of people who have, they mostly use Amax as they will get the job done both with external and terminal ballistics. Field and Stream ran an article earlier this year about a couple that hunt with their 50's.

I'm waiting for my bolt action fifty to get built. I really don't want to have to lug all 32lbs of it too far though.

I cant seem to see the pictures. How do you like that .338 Snipe-Tac? I have been thinking about having one of them built. Do you have the thunderstruck model? I saw that one and it looks impressive.

Thank You

V/R
Rob

ARM28

Here are a few pics of an Elk and Antelope taken last month in Wyoming using the 338 Snipe-Tac (338-408 imp)

The Elk was shot around 450 yds, the Antelope was over 500yds. The load was 300grn Sierra MatchKing, 3325fps.

Entrance wound was about 1", exit was 5" You can see the exit on the Antelope pic. The Elk took several steps and dropped, the heart was completely gone. Antelope just flipped and dropped. The customer said behind the exit wound of the Elk, the sage brush was red for about 20 feet, you can see it in the pic.

[email protected]

I think the picture hosting site changed formats, lost all the data. Here are the pics again. The 338 Snipe-Tac is a very powerfull cartridge, until you shoot one its hard to explain. "Permant grin disorder usually follows" Yes this is the Thunderstruck rifle.

12896bullelk2007.JPG

12896goat2007.JPG

Dave

We took 2 elk with the 408/338 (338 Allen Magnum) this year. 520yds and 508yds. We are using the 300gr Sierra Matchking they were not typical entrance/exit wounds, I believe the shot was too close/too high velocity for the SMK on both elk.. Neither elk moved more than 15ft. The entrance wound was about 3" on one elk and the entrance/exit was one hole where several vertabrae were removed on the other.

What amazed me, was the lack of bloodshot meat for both animals, I suspect it was pure luck that we didn't mess up more meat at only 500yds with the 338 Allen Mag.

AJ

Hunting with a 375 c.t

I had a 375 ct build this summer and have shoot 2 deer 1 at 574 and 1 at 464 both with lost river bullets 350 grs.I the exit hole was the was the size of a 1$ pcs. The deer ran 30 yrds down a hill and was dead.If you need more info or want to talk hunting just repley.

Thanks stephen

I just returned from Montana. While I was their I shot a Cow Bison at about 350 meters or so. She took about 3 steps and died. The bullet (Barnes X 300 grain at 3400 FPS) jellied her lungs and destroyed her Aortal arch. She was an average sized cow at 1200 lbs. I have to figure out how to post pictures on this forum because I took many of the entrance and exit wounds.

I had a 375 ct build this summer and have shoot 2 deer 1 at 574 and 1 at 464 both with lost river bullets 350 grs.I the exit hole was the was the size of a 1$ pcs. The deer ran 30 yrds down a hill and was dead.If you need more info or want to talk hunting just repley.

Thanks stephen

I talked to someone who shot 3 whitetails at medium range 500-800 yds with a 375/408 using SMK bullets. one deer was hit twice. holes were described as golf ball sized wound channels. all 3 were still alive for more than 4 hours after being shot. another group shot 3 elk with similar results, only they used a conventional hunting bullet. 2 of the 3 were alive for quite a while after being shot. the first said he'll never take a 375/408 hunting again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts