Nice groups at 100, 200 no groups..

Cleaning rod works just fine. Takes less than a minute. I don't use a brush but rather a tight fitting patch. Make sure the bearings in your handle are spinning freely. I just put a piece of tape around the rod with the ends pinched together. I put the pinched end straight up. Measure to the tape from received. Push rod till tape is back to pointing up and measure how far the tape moved closer to the action. If you do it 3 times and the number is the same then that's that.
Shep

As others have mentioned, make sure your optics are spot on, vertical = plumb and horizontal = level. Make sure scope is not moving with recoil. Parallax could be an issue if you cannot adjust it but IMO not likely the lone culprit. I suspect factory ammo is a contributor. 200+ fps mv delta is not uncommon between factory ammo rounds. Recommend you methodically eliminate variables starting with optics and verifying barrel twist rate. Then shooting support, stability, etc. I find it hard to believe flinch is the issue when shooting a .243. But its possible.

Lastly, posting examples of groups at 100 and 200 would provide critically important info to the LRH brain trust.

Best wishes!

Your's is another account of hearing this same issue with a Browning. Key holing/ hitting broad side at distance. I've heard it to happen with new rifles.

Used rifles, shot out, yes indeed a possibility. New rifle; I call BS. I would not believe such a story unless I witnessed it with me on the trigger. Browning has earned the reputation of being one of the most accurate factory rifles available.

Used rifles, shot out, yes indeed a possibility. New rifle; I call BS. I would not believe such a story unless I witnessed it with me on the trigger. Browning has earned the reputation of being one of the most accurate factory rifles available.
They have a good reputation for alot of things. Unfortunately they do have a reputation for not matching advertised barrel twist. I have also had this issue in an A-Bolt II in .260 Remington with an 11 twist, not the advertised 9 twist. It would shoot 100 grain Partitions and 120 B-Tips like no tomorrow. Put a 140 Partition or Core-lokt in and Ooohhh-val holes. Browning did nothing about it then either. I have not heard of these issues with the X-Bolts.
Given this scenario it would have to be a bullet stability or optics mounts or erector issue. Either way, that totally sucks to shoot a dime at 100 and a pattern at 2.

This whole thing is very upsetting. Especially, the notion that a gun maker I've sung the praises for over the years would put out a rifle with something other than the advertised twist rate. Where is the outrage?

I've owned three xbolts purchased new: 300 win mag advertised 10 twist, measured 11 twist.
270 wsm advertised 10 twist. Measured 11 twist and had some choke on the muzzle end.
The only xbolt you I still own is a 7mm-08. Twist was as advertised.

Browning surely has earned a reputation with me. They inspired me to build my own.

Your issue could be the bedding in your rifle. It is okay at one hundred yards but at 200 and farther as the harmonics of the barrel oscillates the bullet exiting the barrel does it at different points thus the 8" group at 200 yards but not at one hundred. Check to see that your have a decent bedding or that the barrel is free floating all the way to about an inch of the action. If you barrel is hot and your stock flexes the barrel could be making contact with every shot fired putting pressure on the barrel , which changes the harmonics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.