Nice grouping.

robbobsam

I would like to run something by you guys.

I am currently running one of my .223ai's with 80 grain VLD's, I use it for long range varminting.

I have done some load development with this rifle and am seating the 80 grain VLD's .005" into the lands at a COAL of 2.454", I am using 26.2 grains of varget and getting some interesting results.

100m..........0.75" groups
200m..........1.00" groups
300m..........1.5" groups.

P1011133.jpg

It wasn't 300m as it states in the image above, when I actually ranged it from my shooting spot it was 319m (348yds).

I got the elevation spot on but the windage was a couple of clicks out in the 10mph cross winds.

I am getting 3050fps and the trajectory aligns itself perfectly with Nightforce Exbal which makes taking long shots in the field quite easy.

The only thing that concerns me is that it is a warm load, the bolt is stiff when I unchamber a round after a shot, which isn't good, but I am reluctant to change the load as it seems to work so well. I did try other varget loads from 24-26.4grains but none of them performed at 200yds better than this one.

Could you recommend an alternative powder/seating combination that may be worth trying to give me similar groups without the tight bolt (excessive pressure).

The rifle has a 25.5" Kreiger barrel.

Last edited:
I would like to run something by you guys.

I am currently running one of my .223ai's with 80 grain VLD's, I use it for long range varminting.

I have done some load development with this rifle and am seating the 80 grain VLD's .005" into the lands at a COAL of 2.454", I am using 26.2 grains of varget and getting some interesting results.

100m..........0.75" groups
200m..........1.00" groups
300m..........1.5" groups.

P1011133.jpg

It wasn't 300m as it states in the image above, when I actually ranged it from my shooting spot it was 319m (348yds).

I got the elevation spot on but the windage was a couple of clicks out in the 10mph cross winds.

I am getting 3050fps and the trajectory aligns itself perfectly with Nightforce Exbal which makes taking long shots in the field quite easy.

The only thing that concerns me is that it is a warm load, the bolt is stiff when I unchamber a round after a shot, which isn't good, but I am reluctant to change the load as it seems to work so well. I did try other varget loads from 24-26.4grains but none of them performed at 200yds better than this one.

Could you recommend an alternative powder/seating combination that may be worth trying to give me similar groups without the tight bolt (excessive pressure).

The rifle has a 25.5" Kreiger barrel.
Try backing your seating off of the lans a little bit. That will reduce your chamber pressure and shouldn't blow your groups up.

Are your primers starting to flatten out as well?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.