NH muzzleloader buck

Creedmoor shooter

I havent picked up a muzzleloader in close to 10 years. The way NH does their muzzleloader season to me is a waste of money. This year though I figured I'd give it a try again. I borrowed my uncles Traditions Nitro fire 50cal and I got some 100 grain federal fire sticks.

I had some old 200 grain Precision Rifle dead centers from when I used to muzzleloader back in the day but I only had a couple so I sighted in with the smack down carnivore 250 grain but I shot one of my 200 grain dead centers to see where it hut. Same poi. So I lead off with a 200 grain dead center for its higher bc and less weight.

Last night I killed my biggest buck by weight. The original shot was 150 yards. I held top of the back and figured that would be good. NOPE! Buck took off acting confused and ran down towards me and closed the gap to 100 yards. He was in a bowl so I think the shot echoed and he didn't know which way to go. I reloaded very quickly and the next shot smoked him. I still have no idea where that first round went. To me that should have smoked him. I'm going to shoot it at 150 yards and see exactly how much drop it's having. Anyway I was able to get this beauty NH 8 point that dressed out at 215lbs. What a chore that was getting him out of that hole by myself!
20231029_173507.jpg
30557566223773.jpeg

Last edited: