Newbie to Long Range

lgray88

Id like to say hello too everyone here on this forum as im a newbie to this long range stuff but it like too take it up, at present im runnin Sako 75 in .22-250, i havent been pushing this weapon out too its limits as of yet, but id like to apply for a pupose weapon for targets outwith 1000yard range.

Id like if someone could compose a list of tool i need before i can ever think of pushing out to this distances. Wind Meter,Rangefinder ,Chrono, Spotting Scope, PDA for ballistic data etc.

Id like to go down the line of using a .338 lapua magnum depending if i can have the weapon put on my permit , i will be reloading this caliber also . I know some of you may say this is a big step up from a .22 centrefire but i want something that wont need replaced as my experience of long range improves.

Id like to know what kind of setup to work with action barrel setup and im either goin too top it off with a Nightforce Scope or Leupold Mark 4

thankyou in advance

liam

lgray88,
First, welcome to the site.
It seems that you have already started a somewhat conprehensive list of what you need .
For a low cost exposure to what you will need, I would recommend one of Shawn Carlock's earlier DVD's . Part of the video goes thru some of the gear needed, and recomendations. Also, shows alittle of how to use ballistic software. Contact Defensive Edge on this site. The video won't cost you much, but could save you money in the long run.
Also, do you reload ?
My list at present is
-Swarski Laser rangefinder
-Kestrel 3500 weather meter
-Dell Axim PDA w/ Nightforce ballistic software
-Nightforce ballistic software for home computer
-Nightforce 5.5x22 50mm NXS on longrange caliber of choice
-Harris swivel Bipod w/ padlock
-Triad Tactical rear bag
I do not have a good spotting scope yet.
A good chrono would be useful, but you could validate your trajectory without one, just takes more time.
There is a wealth of imformation on this site on longrange calibers, good luck going forward.

i shall have alook on ebay on for the pda i was tryin too keep the cost of tools down so i can push on for better glass and rifle.

i do reload, currently reloading my .22-250 with much success well it works for me :D , where can i pick up the ballistics program for nightforce is there a fee? and as for the pda is much required too run the program or can i get something cheap, what is the cost of the weather meter , i presume this gives all info, pressure, temp, wind, humidity and another thing does your altitude affect the shot much at these ranges i will be shooting at jsut above sea level.

is swarovski necessary i see the pounds amounting up here , as you see by the pounds i am british things here are alittle more expensive.

so thats the pda, bipod sorted. i shall try and source the other things shortly

You could get by without a PDA and Nightforce ballistics, use a free website called JBM Calculations. This will get you in the ballpark for trajectory.
Also, don't need a spotting scope right away.
I would however, look at getting the rangefinder as my first purchase, and Swarski makes a great one. Some guys have sucess ranging with their reticle, I am just not one of them.
Eventually, you will want a weather meter, as barametric pressure and altitude, ect have a bearing on trajectory.
Does not take much of a PDA to run the ballistic software. so something on the lower price range will do.
I bought my ballistic software direct from Nightforce. One version for home computer, another for the PDA.

Hello there and welcome to LRH.com! This is a great sport. It sounds like you are on the right track to getting to the 1K line. You will find a wealth of info here.

The only thing I would try and steer you away from is jumping in head first with a 338 LM. It is a fine cartridge and all but by the time you learn how to use it and get the practice you need for concistent hits at that range, your barrel will be toast or near toast. I would at the very least supplement your arsenal with something like a 308. The 308 is very easy to learn on as it is not finicky at all, cheap to opperate and is extreemly accurate to build your skills and confidence. Best of all the barrel will last you long enough to pass on to the next generation. I am not saying you should not pursue the 338 LM nor even hold off, but at least concider also getting a more user friendly weapon to help you learn how to get the most out of your big boomer.

Again, welcome! :)

Welcom igray88, i just purchased a dell axium on ebay for $48.00 has 2 cases and all the usual hard ware .

i understand where you are coming from meichele, but ive been under the impression that its not jsut purely the speed of a round that burns barrel , but the use of the rifle fireing several round with no sufficient cooling of the barrel between shots.i not a 100% sure on velocitys of the .338LM for example a charge of 86.2 grains of accurate 3100 and a 250gr nosler partition bullet only produces a a velocity of 2942 fps , i didna think that was in the range of burning teritory. couldnt i try pushing out with the .22-250 for the meantime , i know its not a 1k weapon but 600 yards is doable that would get me somwhere. as for the user friendliness , im a big lad and i use a 12bore quite often , dont get me wrong though i have no idea off the brutality of this weapon could someone compare it too somethin it maybe similar too ,with and without a muzzlebrake

So far ive got my dell axim , i just went for a base model should be ok i hope. ive got a harris 6-9 inch swivel bipod, but no anemometer i wasnt reaslising those kestrel ones where so expensive is there anything other manufacturers i can look too?

many thanks

liam

Actually it has very little to do with the speed of the round and more to do with how much powder you burn. You will be using nearly 100 grains of powder to burn versus 40-50. That is where your barrel will burn out not the velocity in and of itself. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help. Yes it will help if you let your barrel cool some between shots, no it is not a cure all. A 100 grain capacity case is a 100 grain capacity case and 100 grain flame is 100 grain flame.

No no , i understand completlely, but i still cant afford to keep skiping up the line as my interest in this hobby increases, the cost of firearms here are alot more than what you guys pays in the states, so i want to push for something special, if i burn out the barrel it will be replaced its cheaper than buyin a new setup but i surely get several thousand shots out of a .338 barrel if i take care of it. the case capacity may well be 100 grains but your obviuosly not charging that amount my reloading manual states figures from 70 to 85 and what do you mean versus 40-50 of 308 cartridge??

liam

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.