Newbie head explosion

Thanks guys. To clarify. I am using the brass from a factory load that I bought to shoot in my rifle. obviously hornady brass. It was just weird how much difference there was from 6 to 8 pieces of brass. Most of this factory brass. CBTO grew to 1.558 post firing in my rifle. I was shooting for a bump to 1.556. AFTER FL sizing they ranged from 1.5535 to 1.556. Is that much difference normal??
Now that makes sense about my equipment could be the issue. So would this be an acceptable variants in CBTO?
ANNEALING is in my future. AMP when I can slip that by my wife
As others mentioned previously you really don't need to bump the shoulder back after the first firing and more than likely the second either. I don't bump the shoulder back until it's difficult to close the bolt and then I measure that piece of brass and bump it back .002 from there.
Sounds like you are bumping the shoulder back when it doesn't need it yet.
CBTO is measured after a bullet is seated.

CBTO grew to 1.558 post firing in my rifle. I was shooting for a bump to 1.556. AFTER FL sizing they ranged from 1.5535 to 1.556. Is that much difference normal??
yes, thats normal... thats only a .004" total spread, not bad. If you anneal before you size you should be able to stay within a +/- thou of your 1.556 target dimension.

And you dont need to wait for an Amp to anneal you can get started with a propane torch.

Sounds like you are bumping the shoulder back when it doesn't need it yet.
CBTO is measured after a bullet is seated.
Oh. I didn't know that. Ugg.
Ok I am not gonna worry about all this yet. I'll just go have fun and load my new alpha brass and shoot. Get a few shots on them before I worry. Thx for all the insights

Don't know if you are rotating the brass while measuring but I get more consistent readings when rotated because the base settles square on the caliper and shoulder in the comparator.

But as others have said .001 -.0015 variance is a minor issue in accuracy.

Things should settle with more firings in said chamber.

It's all in what you want anyway, if you're looking for practical precision to shoot and hunt or to try to win precision shooting comps.

I don't anneal, weigh brass or measure bullets.I prep with an automated station and don't worry about minor variations or runout. Part of that is because I don't like reloading I like shooting, and part is a cost benefit of what my needs are to what I'm putting in. My needs are hunting, field shooting, prs and getting better, hit rates change very little in field shooting between a .75" 10 shot load and a .5" 10 shot load.

Idk, I guess my point is for someone just starting I think the minutia can bury you, and keeping it simple and relaxed at first can help the hobby seem less miserable than chasing your tail on every single measurement especially if in the end it doesn't change your result for your use case. When I was measuring everything, spending tons of time trying to make everything perfect etc I hated reloading and I shot less and got less wind practice. If the target tells you what you're doing is fine for what you need, listen.

Last edited:
DO NOT SIZE ONCE FIRED BRASS!
You are making a huge mistake here, neck size the case, load it and fire it until it becomes HARD to chamber, measure it and size until you get .002" bump. I actually size for .0015"-.001" on my brass.

Cheers.
Oh ok. Gotcha. I will stop and just shoot till I have more firings through them.
Much appreciated

445supermag,

This might be heresy here. I don't lock down the sizing die. In defense, I have been loading for about fifty years. This is how I full length size cases. For about the last ten years I get a new rifle and fire a few shots. Then I find a fired case that when reinserted gives the slightest resistance to the bolt closing. I measure the "head space" with a caliper. I note this is the absolute maximum. At this point I make sure there is adequate lube so the case will not get stuck. I use Corbin Swage Lube.

Now I set the full length die so the case is not sized all the way down. I take another measurement. Invariably this shows the case's shoulder is not too long to go back into the action. The die is adjusted about .002" and tried again. (There are fourteen threads per inch on the die. 1 divided by 14 is .071".) Therefore 1/10th of a turn is about four times too much.

After adjusting the die again and sizing the case again, I clean it and try it in the action again. When it goes in like there was no case in there I mark the die and the press with a felt marker. Now I turn the die back out about 1/10 of a turn and size another. Hopefully it is too long. Again I size and measure. If it matches the sample, I clean and try in the action until it closes with the slightest resistance. I measure it and try to size it down ½ of .001" and try it in the action again. If it closes like an empty chamber, I measure it and set it aside. I do this again with another case. If they measure the same I mark one as sample and set it aside.

Here's the heresy part. I back out the die a little. Less than 1/10 turn and size the next case and measure it with the caliper for headspace. I size it until it matches the sample. Again I turn the die out a couple thou. Now I size the next case and measure it. Occasionally they measure the right headspace. Usually I have to turn the die down a thou and measure it again. If I get one that measures .0005", I will clean it and try it in the action. Usually it gives the slightest resistance. I don't change the die at all. I lube that case again and size it again. Often it will measure -.0005", or ½ thou shorter than the sample. (I will use any up to -.0015" for playing at the range and hunting.) I use this procedure for every case. That is, I back the die out and measure for headspace and turn it down until I get .0000" or less. Everytime. Tedious? Yes.

Any cases that measure -.002" or greater I set aside and use them when I foul the bore after cleaning.

445supermag,

This might be heresy here. I don't lock down the sizing die. In defense, I have been loading for about fifty years. This is how I full length size cases. For about the last ten years I get a new rifle and fire a few shots. Then I find a fired case that when reinserted gives the slightest resistance to the bolt closing. I measure the "head space" with a caliper. I note this is the absolute maximum. At this point I make sure there is adequate lube so the case will not get stuck. I use Corbin Swage Lube.

Now I set the full length die so the case is not sized all the way down. I take another measurement. Invariably this shows the case's shoulder is not too long to go back into the action. The die is adjusted about .002" and tried again. (There are fourteen threads per inch on the die. 1 divided by 14 is .071".) Therefore 1/10th of a turn is about four times too much.

After adjusting the die again and sizing the case again, I clean it and try it in the action again. When it goes in like there was no case in there I mark the die and the press with a felt marker. Now I turn the die back out about 1/10 of a turn and size another. Hopefully it is too long. Again I size and measure. If it matches the sample, I clean and try in the action until it closes with the slightest resistance. I measure it and try to size it down ½ of .001" and try it in the action again. If it closes like an empty chamber, I measure it and set it aside. I do this again with another case. If they measure the same I mark one as sample and set it aside.

Here's the heresy part. I back out the die a little. Less than 1/10 turn and size the next case and measure it with the caliper for headspace. I size it until it matches the sample. Again I turn the die out a couple thou. Now I size the next case and measure it. Occasionally they measure the right headspace. Usually I have to turn the die down a thou and measure it again. If I get one that measures .0005", I will clean it and try it in the action. Usually it gives the slightest resistance. I don't change the die at all. I lube that case again and size it again. Often it will measure -.0005", or ½ thou shorter than the sample. (I will use any up to -.0015" for playing at the range and hunting.) I use this procedure for every case. That is, I back the die out and measure for headspace and turn it down until I get .0000" or less. Everytime. Tedious? Yes.

Any cases that measure -.002" or greater I set aside and use them when I foul the bore after cleaning.
Wowzers thanks for that write up. I will keep this for my notes. Much appreciated.

445supermag,

/\ /\ /\ This Sir…is PERFECTION!

445supermag,

Is this so that you are full length sizing and only working the brass exactly as much as you need to?....increased brass life?

mongo4567,

To answer your question, no. Primer pockets punking out on me is the only criteria whether I keep a case or not.

That is until this rifle. It requires trimming after ever shot. I use a bent piece of wire to check for possible case separation. If I had the money this chamber would get the Ackley treatment.

Recent Posts