New year, new build

Ksduckhntr

I would like some input and opinions please. I am going to be building a hunting rifle for moderate ranges less than 500 yards. I would like to use a .284 caliber or .308 as I have a 6.5x55 for moderate range deer and predators. My criteria is 20" barrel, Some factory offering ammo, also decent velocities with 160gr and up ammo. I currently have a Winchester crf SA or a Remington long action for the build. I am leaning towards 7wsm on the Winchester action but maybe a 280 on the Remington? What cartridge and action would you choose. I plan to use either a carbon wrapped sederno light or bartlein 2b or 3 fluted.

I forgot to mention game targeted, deer, antelope, sheep, and in the five year plan an elk. Would like somewhat flat shooting if possible but I know with the shorter barrel that idea might be more difficult to accomplish.

I would recommend a 300 WSM , you can use lighter bullets for smaller critters and heavier bullets for elk .

Your idea of the 7 WSM isn't a bad one , but keep in mind the brass availability. Any modern cartridge 6.5 and up will take elk sized game at 500 yards with the right bullet placed appropriately. I personally prefer a magnum 7 or 30

I've thought about the 300wsm, for the bore to case capacity would loose potentially less velocity. I would suspect a 160ish grain solid bullet would work fine on elk etc.. my draw back is that much magnum isn't needed year in and out.

I have thought about that as well. With a win 70 action I can have the bolt stop ground down to allow for a long COAL which only helps that round correct?

I wouldn't stress about COAL if you're going to use a 20" barrel. I assume you're going to be suppressed?

Look into a 7SS or SST. Should be no problem with COAL. Not sure what the velocity would be with a short barrel. Rich has ADG brass available.

I would like some input and opinions please. I am going to be building a hunting rifle for moderate ranges less than 500 yards. I would like to use a .284 caliber or .308 as I have a 6.5x55 for moderate range deer and predators. My criteria is 20" barrel, Some factory offering ammo, also decent velocities with 160gr and up ammo. I currently have a Winchester crf SA or a Remington long action for the build. I am leaning towards 7wsm on the Winchester action but maybe a 280 on the Remington? What cartridge and action would you choose. I plan to use either a carbon wrapped sederno light or bartlein 2b or 3 fluted.

Since you said "I", Savage action is hard to beat when it comes to DIY.

I'm a +1 on a 7wsm. I also have a build underway in this chambering. Stiller medium mag action. (I couldn't located a Defiance action in stock that met time of completion) Brux 2B 1/9 finished off at 27" with yet to be decided break. Manners MCA-T3. This will be my first 7mag in 20 years. Long, skinny bullets with high BC was a factor in going with a 7wsm.

Yes it will be ran suppressed hence why I am looking at the 20" barrel length. And I am not actually building it. Crescent Customs will be doing the work. Is there any other calibers I should be considering other than the 7 wsm, 7 Saum or 300 wsm? Is it just an opinion thing between the saum and wsm? If the Sherman cartridge has any factory offerings I will be going that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.