New Year, New build?

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
What are you all gonna build this year? And whats the purpose for it? I'm gonna finally jump on a 20-250 set up for the 55-62 gr'ers. I wanna blow the hair off the coyotes! Even if I miss :D
Chris
Benchmark

Probably a 300 WM with your group buy.....was impressed to see that your barrels are the #2 most used barrels by the top competition shooters.....very impressive. Intended use is elk and Alaskan game, built on Rem 700 action and likely a McMillan Game Scout stock.

We shall see how the year progresses...

So far I have planned 2 builds...A .280 AI, and a .28 Nosler.

Other than that, we'll just see what parts fall into my lap that will determine my other builds. I'm hoping that I will also be able to build a .260 AI. I have been wanting one of those for many years, as well.

The 280 nosler looks about perfect for a big 7, but the 7-300 norma has its merits as well. Only down side is the custom action (from a $$$ standpoint) or PTG bolt, which ever route you go has its pitfalls and +'s. This is where a DTA would rock! Just really wish they would hit the market with a reliable double stack single feed mag.
Chris
Benchmark

The 280 nosler looks about perfect for a big 7, but the 7-300 norma has its merits as well. Only down side is the custom action (from a $$$ standpoint) or PTG bolt, which ever route you go has its pitfalls and +'s. This is where a DTA would rock! Just really wish they would hit the market with a reliable double stack single feed mag.
Chris
Benchmark

The .28 Nosler has me intrigued, because it should deliver 7STW performance, and with long 180gr bullets, should be able to be close to the lands, and still fit in the factory Remington 700 mag box. I happen to be planning on pulling my 2nd STW apart after the 1st (haven't even shot it yet), and have a brand new take-off Remington Sendero SF 7RUM barrel sitting around, that all I have to do is cut about 1/2"-3/4" off the threads, recut the threads and tennon, and re-cut the chamber. Then it's an instant .28 Nosler with a 1:9 barrel, ready for the heavies...

I'm having Nate Dagley build me a 6x47 Lapua. It will be my LR yote gun. He already has my Benchmark fluted #5 at his shop. I still need to decide if I want it cut at 25 or 26.

I have wanted a fast .270 for a long while,so I am doing a 27 nosler this year,I have the action(Defiance),stock(MCM) and reamer,just patiently waiting for my Benchmark barrel to arrive Downunder,it's going to be a lighter weight rifle #2 contour,9 twist,I'm also doing another in 25 saum on a Rem Mod7 and hi-tech stock.Wishing a safe and prosperous new year to all.

I've played with 257 wsm and really enjoyed it. That little round is a hammer!
Chris
Benchmark

going with a 264 win mag myself...remmy 700 action, #5 bartlein 5r barrel @ 26", jewel trigger, action trued and bedded in a McMillan a3 with adjustable cheek piece, cerecoated black with red splatter. nighforce 20 moa rail, leupold mk4 rings and sightron sIII 6-24 with LRMOA 2 reticle.

going to be my first custom. planning on using 140 bergers.

I have been thinking about this myself. I have a 257 Weatherby and a 7mm built on a 8x68s but surely there is something I need. Have a Wyo deer hunt planned and could use some help deciding on a new cartridge.

I'm really enjoying the 6.5's right now, the 6.5x280AI is my current baby but my new comp gun is a 6.5wsm. Rifle ADD hurts :D
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.