New year, new build

My vote would be the 300 WSM. Lots of factory ammo to choose from and if you decide to hand load later you can do so many things with the variety of 30 cal bullets.

You want a magnum finished at 20"? I've worked with 22" 300wsms, 22" 7wsm, and a 20" 7saum. Velocity is horrid. Magnums need 24". If you are suppressing it I would not even consider a magnum. Powder is best burned INSIDE the barrel.

JI I don't have to build a magnum cartridge, do you have any other suggestions?
In the .284 area I would look at a 284 Win or a 7-08. I load for a friend with a 20" 7-08 and it does well with 150 ELDx @ 2700 with rl16. I've seen some good things from a 284 win as well but I have no experience with a short barrel 284.

I am a big for of the 7mms and 338s for hunting

Maybe look at doing a 280 AI with the Remington LA trued. I haven't run one on a 20" tube but it would be better than running a magnum that short. It also has some factory ammo availability and is a hell of a cartridge.

Maybe look at doing a 280 AI with the Remington LA trued. I haven't run one on a 20" tube but it would be better than running a magnum that short. It also has some factory ammo availability and is a hell of a cartridge.
I wouldnt go with a 280 ai at 20". I doubt it would be an improvement over a 280 at that length. But a 280 ai would be more efficient at that length barrel than a wsm

If you are going to do a shortmag, I would opt for a 24" barrel, unless you are using a can, muzzle blast will be terrible in a 20" barrel. If you are set on a 20" barrel without a can, I would stay with a .308 case, 7MM-08 or .308. Much more shootable.

If you are going to do a shortmag, I would opt for a 24" barrel, unless you are using a can, muzzle blast will be terrible in a 20" barrel. If you are set on a 20" barrel without a can, I would stay with a .308 case, 7MM-08 or .308. Much more shootable.
THIS ^^^^ IF,.. 20" Barrel, go,.. 7mm-08 !! or,.. a 24" .270 WSM

You want a magnum finished at 20"? I've worked with 22" 300wsms, 22" 7wsm, and a 20" 7saum. Velocity is horrid. Magnums need 24". If you are suppressing it I would not even consider a magnum. Powder is best burned INSIDE the barrel.

Can you please share your findings (horrid velocity and the corresponding powders), it might be acceptable to the OP - best compromise of barrel length and acceptable velocity for the end-user to decide on.

Can you please share your findings (horrid velocity and the corresponding powders), it might be acceptable to the OP - best compromise of barrel length and acceptable velocity for the end-user to decide on.
Certainly. If OP is interested PM me and I can provide data.

Between wanting a 20" barrel and factory ammo choices, 7mm-08 or 308 would be my choices. With the short mags you would have an impressive fireball at the end of the barrel though...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.